• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrepancy on Applicaiton

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cybernet00

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband has been at his new job for 2 weeks, he received a call from HR stating that there was a discrepancy on his application and they need him to bring in a pay stub. Under the employment section of the application it asked for Annual Rate of Pay my husband put in his yearly salary plus his total compensation package. He went to HR and gave them a listing that stated his base pay plus the added compensation package with was $7,000 more than what he placed on his application. When he came home on Friday they called him and told him they needed a pay stub when my husband asked why all they say is there was a discrepancy on your application. My husband asked well is this something I’m going to be fired over? And he just said “well lets not jump to conclusions but this is very serious.”

My husband was working for a different contract and when he told his boss that he got a new job and it was with *so and so* she just looked at him and walked away she then called him into her office and apologized and said she is just tired of *so and so* taking all there people. She then called him into her office again and stated that they could match or beat what *so and so* was offering but my husband and I decided against that because *so and so* had better tuition reimburse and the duties where more for what he likes to do.

At his previous job they were not allowed to talk about there salary with anyone. He also knows for a fact that *so and so* has never checked on the pay rate of anyone else. He has also over heard people at his new job saying things almost like the company doesn’t have the money for him Example: Well we can all go but we will have to see if we have enough money for John. It seems like they are trying to renege on the deal that they set when they sent him the offer but no one will give him a straight answer and he hasn’t received anything in writing from that about this whole thing. I also did see on the application where it states “that this is “at will” employment” I authorize *so and so* to obtain information concerning me from previous employers, school officials, credit reporting agencies, and other. I understand that any willful omission, falsification, or misrepresentation may constitute grounds for denial of employment offer or termination of employment.

He did not lie on his application, what should we do? Everyone we talk to about this says it sounds fishy and that we should contact an attorney (what kind of an attorney would I contact?).

moburkes

What do you mean by annual rate of pay plus total compensation? What the heck is total compensation?

It would not be illegal for them to fire him for this.

cybernet00

It's all a mess

What do you mean by annual rate of pay plus total compensation? What the heck is total compensation?

It would not be illegal for them to fire him for this.
His yearly salary was $42,000; he added 1/3 to that which was for the compensation package that he received from his previous employer. The total is around $55,000 but he just put $50,000 on the application since there were something’s he didn't use.

He gave them his pay stub today along with the information as to how he is coming up with that figure. The guy didn't even want to talk to him, just told his how great of a discrepancy in pay it is and that it was very serious. They haven't given him anything in writing and all we are doing now is waiting to see if they fire him. Since *so and so* is an "at will" employment they can fire him without giving any reason...they whole situation is a mess.

eerelations

Also "total compensation" is NOT "salary." Total compensation includes salary but total compensation does not = salary alone. If the application asked for his last salary, and he responded with his last total compensation figure, then he indeed lied on the application form. And the fact that he lied is what they're concerned about.

moburkes

Also "total compensation" is NOT "salary." Total compensation includes salary but total compensation does not = salary alone. If the application asked for his last salary, and he responded with his last total compensation figure, then he indeed lied on the application form. And the fact that he lied is what they're concerned about.
Agreed. 100%. I'm trying to figure out what the heck he was thinking when he included other stuff there. You don't include other benefits when talking about your salary. This mess was caused by husband, alone, in order to get better compensated at the new job. His plan backfired.

Some Random Guy

The only "other compensation" that you could get away with claiming would be bonus money - and even that would hard to justify if you didn't disclose the bonus conponent of the figure.

To include healthcare, 401K match, tuition reimbursement, etc. would be deceitful and a darned good reason to get fired.

cybernet00

A little More

The box stated Annual Rate of Pay. He included his past companies compensation package because he wasn't aware of what the new company would have for theirs, he only knew what his past company offered and therefore added that in because if his new company didn't offer what his past company did he would have to make up for it out of his new pay. For example he will be paying 3x more for health insurance with this new company than with his last. So it doesn't make since for him to get a promotional position only to be making less because of what he has to pay out with their compensation package. He gave them an exact run down of where he got his figures from and is completely willing to discuss it. He is more than willing to say ok I made a mistake lets talk about this and if I get fired for it then I do...our issue is that the main guy for the company is unwilling to tell him if in fact he is going to get fired or if they want to take back their original offer and take his pay down. When someone is willing to take responsibility but the other is acting like THEY are the ones that maybe shouldn’t’ have hired him at all because their budget didn’t in fact cover it then it is a completely different story. They are also trying to claim that since they hired him 3 weeks ago that policies have changed and now all of a sudden they can talk about pay with others…bottom line is if the main guy thinks he maliciously put more money on there and wants to fire him then fine have at it BUT don’t keep him on the job because you know he is a good employee and you have an audit coming up that he did for his last company and the last company passed with flying colors thanks to my husband only for you to turn around and fire him after it is over!

I understand that you all don’t know my husband and it’s easy to say that he is a liar but he isn’t. I’m telling you all right now, that if he made a mistake his is willing to own up to it and that is exactly what this was a mistake but no one will tell him anything one way or the other.

Plus, how about this for a little food for thought…what does his past pay have to do with his new job? His last position doesn’t even compare to the new responsibilities that this one has. His new duties have nothing to do with the job he use to have and in fact his has more responsibilities (this isn’t like staying with the same company and being promoted this is a completely new contract and new job) with the new job and in researching his new job title with the same type of contract his is being paid correctly not quite in the middle but definitely not in the low either.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He made a mistake. He should NEVER have included anything but salary and possibly bonus. I won't judge whether he did it on purpose or not but he was wrong and even if it was an honest mistake, he CAN be fired for it.

And here's one reason it matters; what his past pay was is not so important as the fact that the new employer knows now that they can't trust what he told them. Whether he deliberately lied or misunderstood the question is not important; the fact is he gave them incorrect information.

NOTE: I have corrected "compensation" to read "bonus".

Last edited:

cybernet00

Thank you

He made a mistake. He should NEVER have included anything but salary and possibly compensation. I won't judge whether he did it on purpose or not but he was wrong and even if it was an honest mistake, he CAN be fired for it.

And here's one reason it matters; what his past pay was is not so important as the fact that the new employer knows now that they can't trust what he told them. Whether he deliberately lied or misunderstood the question is not important; the fact is he gave them incorrect information.
If a person who has never made a mistake, has only excelled in every position / assignment and can prove that with past employment reference contact / past employment evaluations but none of the above is looked at or considered nor will the person be allowed to speak professionally with the employer to take said ownership of the mistake, then the company isn’t the one for him.

Don’t get me wrong I totally understand what you are saying and I can see their side but I would better agree with them if 1. The background of the person showed this isn’t their first violation with something similar and 2. If they sat down one on one and stated exactly what was to be expected of the out come. Since neither of the two above is accurate to the situation, I’m leaning more on the company not budgeting correctly and now not having any choice but to…**************and there again no one can be sure what they plan on doing since they will not speak with him professionally about it.

I’d like to thank everyone for your replies to my problem.

eerelations

"Pay" = "Salary" and since "Salary" does not = "Total Compensation" then "Pay" does not = "Total Compensation"

He only made a mistake if he sincerely believed that "pay" = "total compensation." If that's the case, then he should explain that to them - maybe they'll relent and send him on a literacy course.

However, I don't think he made a mistake. Your posts indicate that he deliberately added the value of his benefits to his annual pay rate and placed that inflated figure in the "Annual Pay Rate" section. This means he lied, and as cbg said, the company is now concerned about his truthfulness (or rather lack thereof).

Whether or not one's last salary has any bearing on the salary one gets from one's next company is not the issue here.

Gadfly

If I'm hiring someone (unless the are in high school and this is their first jot) I would expect them to know what salary is, especially in FL anything over $40K is supposed to indicate you're pretty smart 'cause we're a cheap, cheap state.

That's a major detail to get "wrong" on an application.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">