• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimianation based on sex?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wilson20

I work in an office of a trucking company. I have a bachelors degree and four years with the company. I have been under numerous terminal managers and it seems that the sky is the limit for male dispatchers. Every single male dispatcher has moved on to become a terminal manager here or at a new location. I have applied for weekend dispatcher twice and have been passed over twice for male employees. I meet their qualifications and actually had more qualifications than the last guy they hired. I did the job for nearly a month before they hired someone else. They said they would take me into consideration, but thought he was the perfect fit for them. There is only one other female dispatcher and it took her nearly 8 years to get the job. Is this discrimination on sex, because it seems that the men move up the corporate ladder and us women stay at the bottom.

B

buddy2bear

You picked a highly male-dominated industry to work in that's for sure! I think you have a disparate treatment/sex discrimination case under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act - possibly Equal Pay Act violation too. You can go and find a labor/employment lawyer and file with the EEOC, but be prepared to fight like a dog and possibly being "blacklisted" from the industry -- even though "blacklisting" is illegal, it is hard to prove and it does happen. Also, even though it is illegal to "retaliate" against someone who files a charge, be prepared to lose your job. These men will never learn and will lose a good employee -- one who thinks she has to prove she is better than a man -- which means she will work harder and be better! Otherwise, "go with the flow" and put in the time, collect your paycheck, and enjoy life -- work is NOT everything!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">