• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discriminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashlee1443

North Carolina

I applied for a job at a deli about a week and a half ago. I am 19 years old,and a single mother to my 9 month old little boy. Anyway,I went in for one interview with the manager,and she wanted to bring me back in the next day to speak to the owner. (An important point-this deli is a Christian-owned business,they are closed Sunday's.) So,I went in the next day,and immediatley,the woman asked if I was over 18,I said yes,that I was 19. Then,she asked if I had any children. I said yes,a 9 month old little boy. At first,she sounded as if she was just making conversation about my son,but she took it way to far,I believe. Here are some of the exact questions she asked me,that I felt were illegal,and uncalled for:

1.)Are you with the father?
2.)I replied no,so then she asked,"Does the father see the baby?"
3.)Does his parent's see the baby?
4.)Do you live at home?
5.)Do you have government assistance?

What do those questions have to do with me becoming employed?? Personally,the relationship with my son's father is a very sore subject,and those questions offended me. Then,she went on to say that I had no experience in a restaurant setting,even though my application clearly stated that I worked in a restaurant for 1 1/2. In a sense,she made it sound like that because she didn't approve of my lifestyle,that I wouldn't be accepted as an employee there. Were this questions illegal,or was she allowed to ask those questions? If I wanted too,is there anything I could do legally? I'm very curious on this subject,because I feel that she was way out of line,and was very discriminating towards me. Please advise...thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Ashlee1443 (edited November 07, 2000).]

ALawyer

It sounds as if she was way out of line, but unless the restaurant was is part of a large chain, and a pattern of discrimination, move on. You do not want to work with small minded nosy bigots anyway.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">