• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autonut

My boss whom I have worked for the past 10 years has a problem with my husband. He does not like the fact that my husband and I are an interracial couple and has expressed his opinion quite a few times. He recently said that my husband is not ambitious because he is "two steps ahead of anyone else in his family" meaning he married a white woman so that's enough for him ( he said this in front of my manager). He said this about two months ago and I cant forget it, I feel really uncomfortable working for this ignorant man but I need the money. Is this discrimination?? If I quit would I be eligible for unemployment? I am looking for another job but cant find anything that is comparable salarywise. Help I cant bear another day looking at this man. I live in New york.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Here is some information that may prove useful to you: http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/job_discrimination/
and read this below:

MY WORKING CONDITIONS WERE INTOLERABLE SO I QUIT. CAN I CHALLENGE MY JOB LOSS AS IF I WAS FIRED?
Probably. Most states recognize "constructive termination" of employment and treat it similarly to an actual firing. For example, if the employer reduces your wages from $12 per hour to $6 per hour, switches your day hours to the moonlight shifts, and changes your position from secretary to stevedore, that would clearly be a constructive termination.

An employee in a state that recognizes constructive wrongful termination does not have to be fired in order to have the ability to sue an employer for intolerable working conditions. If an employee can prove that an employer created intolerable working conditions in an effort to get the employee to quit, and these conditions were known by the employer, or intentionally created by the employer, then the employee may pursue a constructive wrongful termination action.

The remedies available in a successful constructive wrongful termination action are similar to those in a suit due to actual wrongful termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">