• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CValen

I was put on a write up at work, for using a foul word and only one foul word. Two weeks later, another associate used several foul words to express his anger with me. When I reported this incidence to management I was told they would handle it. I have since found out that nothing happened to this person. When I asked management about it I was told it was none of my business. As a result of my action I'm not eligible to sign any job bids for one year,according to my boss. Meanwhile the person that cused me out and one person that I know for a fact is on a write up have since signed job bids and have been promoted to the jobs. I am also a union activast in a non-union job and I feel like the actions being taken against me are a result of this.
Would these actions be considered discrimination and if so what actions should I pursue?

H

hannah jo

Discipline should be haded out according to policies and procedures outlined int he Employee handbook - and the company should conform to those standards. Unfair application of discipline and penalties impact job morale if nothing else. However, if the employer is doign their job, remember they have to investigate the complaints and find grounds to beleive them before handing out discipline. Unless the unfair treatment is based on one of the protected statuses (race, sex, religion, etc) ther eisn't much recourse - other than to remind you that unions ar powerful and there is power in numbers (you may want to consider joining)

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">