• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swoosie1228

Fifteen years ago I was working at a county Civil Service job and was badly injured on the job. After two years of working in severe pain, I had to go on leave, eventually I had to move from NY to Florida. I was able to rehabilitate myself physically but suffered from severe depression which still affects me. I moved back to NY and again work for the County. However, the department where I worked, and where I have all my expertise, continually turns me down for jobs. (I work for another dept) I have been on at least thirty interviews, I have the experience and they barely interview me. They have asked me "why don't you stay as an account clerk?" and at one interview, the woman asked another interviewer "are we allowed to ask her if she is going to retire soon?". She asked this while looking at me and I felt obligated to answer. This department was also informed of my disability due to the depression and they know of the permanent partial disability I have due to the original accident. Do I have any chance of suing them and if so, what type of lawyer would be best?

------------------

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I really don't see what you can sue them for. You really don't have solid proof of any sort of viable discrimination. Can you back up the interviewer's situation ("can we ask her if she is going to retire soon")?

To sort through this, your best bet is to speak with an EMPLOYMENT LABOR LAW ATTORNEY.

Try attorneypages.com or contact the New York State Bar Association and ask for lawyer referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">