• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wickett

What is the name of your state? stupid South CArolina

Is it discrimination when an employer won't hire you because you never graduated High SChool, even when you have 35+ years of solid work history and are qualified for the job? Can't they give you a written test to see if you have a brain or not???

P

Pfaffing85690

I was going to give you a glib answer then I remembered how hard it was for me to get started back in the mid 70s when, even with a college degree and 24, I still looked like a 16 year-old.

It sucks with braces (painful) but nothing that this employer has done is illegal. stupid, yes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't disagree with Pfaffing but I'm going to qualify the answer.

IF the employer can verify the necessity for the successful candidate for this position to have a HS diploma, then I agree with Pfaffing absolutely. However, IF the company has an across-the-board policy that everyone they hire for any position MUST have a high school diploma regardless, then there MAY (I positively am not saying WILL) be a claim for discrimination on the grounds of adverse impact.

Whether this is or is not the case cannot be determined on a message board. You would need to consult local counsel for a definite answer.

Mind you, I think the chances that you will be able to successfully challenge this employer on these grounds is pretty darned slim. But I don't think I can truthfully, positively, say that there is NO possibility whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">