• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unfairethics

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have an issue with one employer who I feel has violated the rights of my two children.

First, my adult son working at a gas station was asked to do a mandatory drug test for "cause". The "cause" was a rumor from another employee. He refused to test stating they had no reasonable suspician based on his work performance. Needless to say he was let go because he refused the test.

Second, my minor daughter applied for a job at a restaurant owned and housed in the same building as the above stated gas station.

These two businesses are ran independently of each other with seperate supervisory staffs.

My question is this. Can the supervisor from the gas station share confidential employee information with the supervisor of the restaurant when my son was not employed by the restaurant? and can that restaurant supervisor then use that information against my daughter in her application for the restaurant job? Such as asking her if she is a drug user also and making remarks concerning her brother refusing a drug test.

BelizeBreeze

unfairethics said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have an issue with one employer who I feel has violated the rights of my two children.

First, my adult son working at a gas station was asked to do a mandatory drug test for "cause". The "cause" was a rumor from another employee. He refused to test stating they had no reasonable suspician based on his work performance. Needless to say he was let go because he refused the test.
Which is perfectly legal
Second, my minor daughter applied for a job at a restaurant owned and housed in the same building as the above stated gas station.

These two businesses are ran independently of each other with seperate supervisory staffs.

My question is this. Can the supervisor from the gas station share confidential employee information with the supervisor of the restaurant when my son was not employed by the restaurant? and can that restaurant supervisor then use that information against my daughter in her application for the restaurant job? Such as asking her if she is a drug user also and making remarks concerning her brother refusing a drug test.
There is no such 'confidential' information regarding your son. Refusing to take a drug test is not protected information. And yes, the application process can determine if your daughter is a drug user.

unfairethics

I beg to differ.

BelizeBreeze said:
Which is perfectly legal

There is no such 'confidential' information regarding your son. Refusing to take a drug test is not protected information. And yes, the application process can determine if your daughter is a drug user.
Oregon state law is specific on the types of drug testing that can be used in employment. Pre-employment, for cause, random and post injury.

My son passed the Pre-employment screen. The request was for "cause". The cause was generated by a rumor by another employee that he had a disagreement with. Rumors can't be used for "cause" testing. It is against the law. There has to be some work performance problem. My son had just been promoted due to his excellent work skills. It wasn't a random test because there was no random selection process from which he was chosen and it wasn't post-accident.

And yes, they can share the information regarding the fact he quit, but they may not then go on to say to my daughter that he FAILED a test he never took. This is slander. The ACLU seems to agree with us on both sides. That my son was asked to test under illegal conditions and that my daughter was discriminated against because of what her brother's work history revealed.

There was no issue with her doing the pre-employment drug test. She would have passed with flying colors as did her brother. The issue was the sharing of personal information from one company to another through the supervisors. The supervisor at the restaurant should never have been given information from the supervisor at the gas station. It was illegal.

G

Gevalia

Then this was--what, a test?

I will never, ever, ever understand the people who come here, ask a question about the law, be answered by a LAWYER fercryinoutloud, and then argue about who's right. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

BelizeBreeze

The Oregon civil rights laws don't specifically address drug testing of employees.

The state of the law in Oregon with respect to drug-testing in the workplace is still evolving. In the public employment sector, numerous challenges to mandatory drug testing programs have been mounted by both public employee labor unions and the ACLU.

Those challenges have generally asserted that urine testing not based on probable cause, or, at least, reasonable suspicion, violates government employees' Fourth Amendment rights. Such claims were often successful in the lower federal courts until March, 1989 when the United States Supreme Court issued its first two decisions in the drug testing area.

Few courts have afforded private sector employees protection against random drug testing. To date, there have only been a handful of cases won by private sector employees who either refused to take the test on privacy grounds and were fired, or whose test results were inaccurate.

In most states, courts have ruled that the employment-at-will doctrine outweighs employees' privacy rights. Only in California has the highest state court held otherwise. In that state private sector employees (but not job applicants) have been found to be protected by the right to privacy contained in the state constitution.

And even for those cases that have been decided on the side of the plaintiff, the right to privacy extends only to the results of the test, NOT to the reason for termination, such as in this case where the subject refuse the test on suspicion (however strong or warranted) of drug use.

OREGON Drug Testing The state's drug testing law permits all types of drug testing, but does require that all tests be analyzed at state-approved laboratories and in accordance with specific provisions. On-site testing is permitted provided certain conditions are met.

Ore. Rev. Stat. § 438.435 (1997); OR. Admin. Rule 333-024-0305 to 333-024-0365 (1999).
The law only permits alcohol testing, however, when the employee consents or there is reasonable suspicion that the employee is under the influence of alcohol while on the job.

Or. Rev. Stat. §659.227(1998). Requires private employers with public improvement contracts to "demonstrate that an employee drug testing program is in place." Ore. Rev. Stat. §279.312 (1999).

Also, because Oregon law is silent on Private Employer policy as pertains to drug testing generally, the issue in this post is NOT about the rights of an employer to administer such a test nor the legality of an employer, with cause, to request such, but the right of the employer to state to a third party the reasons why an employee was dismissed.

On that claim, this post fails because slander/libel requires the showing of falseness, which is apparantly not the case here as the poster's son was, indeed, terminated for refusing a drug test.

That fact is not priviledged information nor is it protected under any state or federal law.

unfairethics

Not a test

Gevalia said:
Then this was--what, a test?

I will never, ever, ever understand the people who come here, ask a question about the law, be answered by a LAWYER fercryinoutloud, and then argue about who's right. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
Well now I'm a little confused by the sarcasm in a room that is supposed to be professional. The "Breeze" didn't indicate to me that she way a lawyer. And her signature defies professionalism, so excuse me for not taking her seriously.

It is not perfectly legal to share information from a personnel file except to the supvisor in charge of the employee and others who may be in direct supervision of the employee. You show me where the just "cause" was for the test and I will be satisfied. Geeeeeeeeeeez

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not perfectly legal to share information from a personnel file except to the supvisor in charge of the employee and others who may be in direct supervision of the employee.

That's where you're wrong.

The ONLY information that employers are required by law to keep confidential, is any medical information they may have on the employee, and in some states whether or not that employee has ever filed a workers comp claim. Information from personnel files is LEGALLY provided to someone other than the direct supervision staff all the time. Reference information, for example.

And please don't come back and tell me, like so many others have, that employers are limited to providing only job title, salary history and rehire status in giving job references. No such law exists under Federal law or in any state.

unfairethics

cbg said:
It is not perfectly legal to share information from a personnel file except to the supvisor in charge of the employee and others who may be in direct supervision of the employee.

The ONLY information that employers are required by law to keep confidential, is any medical information they may have on the employee, and in some states whether or not that employee has ever filed a workers comp claim. Information from personnel files is LEGALLY provided to someone other than the direct supervision staff all the time. Reference information, for example.

And please don't come back and tell me, like so many others have, that employers are limited to providing only job title, salary history and rehire status in giving job references. No such law exists under Federal law or in any state.
Q. Andrew is a member of my office staff whose job performance recently has not been up to par. Based on rumors I´ve heard from my other employees, I suspect that Andrew may be using illegal drugs. Can I require him to submit to a drug screen? What are the rules for drug testing employees?

A. The Oregon civil rights laws don´t specifically address drug testing of employees. But the absence of specific statutes in this area doesn´t mean that employers have carte blanche to conduct drug tests in every situation. In fact, while it´s generally legal for employers to conduct drug tests, you should proceed very carefully, because this type of testing can infringe on an employee´s constitutional privacy rights.

So how can you conduct drug tests without landing your company on the wrong end of a lawsuit? Here are a few tips:

Have a clear policy. Your first step is to implement a clear written policy on drug testing and to fully explain the policy to all your employees. Work with your employment law attorney and a qualified laboratory testing service to draft a legal policy that advises employees they could be subject to testing.

Articulate your standard for testing. Advise employees how they can be selected for testing. Although some employers may choose to test randomly, many employment attorneys suggest that you limit testing to situations where there is "cause" (when the employer has reasonable suspicion of drug use), or when an employee is involved in a workplace incident or accident.

Apply your policy consistently. To avoid charges of discrimination or wrongful discharge, enforce your drug testing policy in a fair and consistent manner. If you test employees randomly, be certain you can document that your selection methods are truly random. If you test employees "for cause," be certain you can articulate the facts (not merely rumors or gossip) which gave you reasonable suspicion of an employee´s drug use.

You can set different drug testing standards for different classifications of workers, as long as your standards are based on business reasons. For example, you might decide to set higher drug testing standards for your delivery drivers than for your clerical staff.

Obviously, it would be discriminatory to drug test only your Asian employees, or only your female employees, or only your employees over 40 years old. Likewise, you should realize that employees who suffer on-the-job injuries fall into a protected class, and thus it would be discriminatory to drug test only employees who get hurt at work. So if you test employees based on their involvement in a work-related accident, you ought to test all employees involved, regardless of whether they were injured.

Provide advance notice. It´s typically recommended that you provide your current employees with at least 30 days advance notice before starting a new drug-testing program. Without such notice, your employees have a "reasonable expectation of privacy," an expectation that they´ll be free from drug testing in the workplace. Spring a surprise drug test on an employee without a drug testing policy in place, and you may get a surprise of your own -- in the form of a lawsuit.

If you do drug test employees in a proper manner, you can discipline or terminate employees who screen positive for current use of illegal drugs, because such individuals are not protected by the ADA or Oregon disability laws.

In your situation with Andrew, ask yourself the following questions: Did we previously advise Andrew that our company has a drug testing policy? Did we explain in the policy that employees can be tested "for cause?" Did we give sufficient advance notice of the policy? Do we really have reasonable suspicion to believe that Andrew is using illegal drugs?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, watch out! Instead of requiring a drug test, you´ll be much safer addressing Andrew´s specific performance deficiencies by following your regular disciplinary policies. If Andrew is arriving late for work, acting in a bizarre or inappropriate manner, or simply not completing his job duties on time, focus on those issues and apply your existing discipline rules as you would with other employees.

BelizeBreeze

Then hire this attorney to state your claim of discrimination on the Federal level.

And since you're very good at cut-n-paste, you should be very good at reading. So, have fun with finding case law to support your opinion. :rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I don't see a single word in anything in that whole cut and paste, that says anything about information in the personnel files being protected.

unfairethics

Not concerned about personnel files

cbg said:
And I don't see a single word in anything in that whole cut and paste, that says anything about information in the personnel files being protected.
Concerned only about the use of drug testing without justifiable cause and slander by stating he had failed a test he never took. A company I worked for two years ago was sued and lost for this very same thing. Not having justifiable cause for the drug test. :)

BelizeBreeze

unfairethics said:
Concerned only about the use of drug testing without justifiable cause and slander by stating he had failed a test he never took. A company I worked for two years ago was sued and lost for this very same thing. Not having justifiable cause for the drug test. :)
O.K. cite the exact case, the jurisdiction where it occured and the court.

I'll read the case myself.

jude47

true?

cbg said:

\

Why has my HR department been so careful then about releasing any information on references. Also , the drug testing I have done on my staff has been marked confidential and maintained in sealed envelope in employee files. Companies must have these procedures for some reason.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because it is not illegal to provide such information doesn't mean that keeping the information confidential, outside of a need to know, is not a good idea.

You're the one who said it was illegal; suppose you provide me with the law that says so.

BelizeBreeze

jude47 said:
\

Why has my HR department been so careful then about releasing any information on references. Also , the drug testing I have done on my staff has been marked confidential and maintained in sealed envelope in employee files. Companies must have these procedures for some reason.
Did you not read my response?
There are many state statutes and federal laws that create civil and criminal penalties for disclosure of the RESULTS of such a test. However, the fact that one was taken or not is NOT protected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">