• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Discrimination ????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

macwho

Worked for a Company for 8 1/2 years. Went off on Workers Comp for a torn rotator cuff that required surgery. After being off for 4 1/2 months I was cleared to return to my job on a "Light Duty" status. I contacted my Employer Supervisor,of a mid size Company in New York State with apx. 17 employees, who informed me the company Assets had been bought out by another Company and the former Company that we had worked for no longer existed. He told me the new company had decided not to hire me, as well as another employee in the same position, because as I was led to believe was Budget restrictions.
As I found out this wasn't true.
Not only had they hired the other employee, they also hired another person much less qualified than I but at a much less lower wage than I was making, who essentially replaced me.
I might add there is, and has never been wage parity within this company. There was five employees including myself who had the same position. I was middle of the road on wages, as two other employees made more than I, and two other employees made less than I. Also the employees were hired for the same wages that they were making for the previous Company, with the exception of the new employee that was hired at apx. 60% of the wage that I was making. I would also add that I am over 50 years old. Of the other people who were re-employed or hired by this Company none are over 40 years old.
I firmly believe I was discriminated against because of either Age or because of my Illness. BUT I need advise. Am I a victim of hiring discrimination? If so, where do I go,who should I talk to?

how large is this new company? if there is less than 50 employees they can plead hardship under comp but on the othere hand ther might be a case for the eeoc. my link is down but do a search when you get a chance. good site with plenty of answers. looks like you are a liability and they do not want to deal with your injury

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Talk to the EEOC about the suspected age discrimination claim; to the Workers Compensation Board about the suspected w/c discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">