• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination Firing / Tuition Reimbursement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

#2fromthe.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

After 8.5 years with a Fortune 100 company with a great track record (perennial "exceeds" reviews) and completing my graduate degree (MBA) at a reputable AACSB institution, I decided to review my options for employment both internally and externally. I accepted a job with one of the largest companies in the world (also in Ohio). Part of the agreement was that the new firm would pay the old firm the one year cap of money with which they sponsored my education ($5,250) in order to release me from my obligation to them and allow them to hire me. Within the new employment agreement with the new firm, it was written, "If you resign or are terminated for any reason other than a job elimination (as determined within J.P. Morgan's discretion), prior to twenty four months from your hire date, you agree to immediately repay to J.P. Morgan the full amount of this one-time Payment within ten (10) days of your resignation or termination." I had every intention of fulfilling that obligation, and did everything in my power to be a great employee while learning about a new company, new procedures, and new products.

What I did not know was the hiring manager has never successfully hired a male associate (she has fired every one, even fired internal hires who had good reputations elsewhere), and I was a dead man walking. I was fired on my 89th day (before the 90 day window) without cause (Ohio is an "at-will" state), and proceed to collect unemployment (relevant because it helps demonstrate I was fired without cause) while attempting to recover from one of the most traumatic times in my life. All of my co-workers from the new firm were very supportive, shocked I was let go, and emotionally supportive throughout. Since I had such a good employment history and reputation at my first company, they hired me back after 6 months away. I am very thankful and grateful for this, the company I've spent the majority of my career with forgave me and accepted me back with open arms. I received a collection call the other day and a letter from a collection agency, informing me that they are, indeed, trying to collect on the tuition reimbursement. I am shocked, and I don't know how to proceed. The collection company told me I have 30 days to respond (or they will consider the debt valid), and I'm not sure what to do. I don't have the money to pay, still staring at $12k in credit card debt form the 6 months of unemployment. Can anyone help me?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

After 8.5 years with a Fortune 100 company with a great track record (perennial "exceeds" reviews) and completing my graduate degree (MBA) at a reputable AACSB institution, I decided to review my options for employment both internally and externally. I accepted a job with one of the largest companies in the world (also in Ohio). Part of the agreement was that the new firm would pay the old firm the one year cap of money with which they sponsored my education ($5,250) in order to release me from my obligation to them and allow them to hire me. Within the new employment agreement with the new firm, it was written, "If you resign or are terminated for any reason other than a job elimination (as determined within J.P. Morgan's discretion), prior to twenty four months from your hire date, you agree to immediately repay to J.P. Morgan the full amount of this one-time Payment within ten (10) days of your resignation or termination." I had every intention of fulfilling that obligation, and did everything in my power to be a great employee while learning about a new company, new procedures, and new products.

What I did not know was the hiring manager has never successfully hired a male associate (she has fired every one, even fired internal hires who had good reputations elsewhere), and I was a dead man walking. I was fired on my 89th day (before the 90 day window) without cause (Ohio is an "at-will" state), and proceed to collect unemployment (relevant because it helps demonstrate I was fired without cause) while attempting to recover from one of the most traumatic times in my life. All of my co-workers from the new firm were very supportive, shocked I was let go, and emotionally supportive throughout. Since I had such a good employment history and reputation at my first company, they hired me back after 6 months away. I am very thankful and grateful for this, the company I've spent the majority of my career with forgave me and accepted me back with open arms. I received a collection call the other day and a letter from a collection agency, informing me that they are, indeed, trying to collect on the tuition reimbursement. I am shocked, and I don't know how to proceed. The collection company told me I have 30 days to respond (or they will consider the debt valid), and I'm not sure what to do. I don't have the money to pay, still staring at $12k in credit card debt form the 6 months of unemployment. Can anyone help me?
Looks to me like you took a risk that did not pay off.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You owe the company the money. You need to find a pay it. This is a good debt that they have every right to collect on. YOu agreed to pay it.

#2fromthe.

Hello,

I appreciate the time you've taken to respond. Unfortunately, and honestly, I interpreted it as a requirement to repay if I was fired for cause (they never gave me a reason for the termination) or left the firm. Do I have grounds for suit against them for discriminatory firing (to note, a lady who was hired while I was there has a poor reputation and is still there, and the person who replaced me was also a woman who is still there), or at least threaten it to get them to back off their position? I sincerely worked my tail off (worked hard, late, through lunch, missed one day from my daughter's illness, was always on time), I didn't ever think I would be fired, and I just think this is wrong. What keeps people from doing this to people and basically destroying their lives? I took a huge pay cut to come back to my old company, I just don't have the money. How will they squeeze blood from a turnip? What are those proceedings?

Last edited:

Antigone*

Hello,

I appreciate the time you've taken to respond. Unfortunately, and honestly, I interpreted it as a requirement to repay if I was fired for cause (they never gave me a reason for the termination) or left the firm. Do I have grounds for suit against them for discriminatory firing (to note, a lady who was hired while I was there has a poor reputation and is still there, and the person who replaced me was also a woman who is still there), or at least threaten it to get them to back off their position? I sincerely worked my tail off (worked hard, late, through lunch, missed one day from my daughter's illness, was always on time), I didn't ever think I would be fired, and I just think this is wrong. What keeps people from doing this to people and basically destroying their lives? I took a huge pay cut to come back to my old company, I just don't have the money. How will they squeeze blood from a turnip? What are those proceedings?
Well, then off you go on the turnip truck:rolleyes:

You may not have the money now, but if they sue, judgments are good for an awfully long time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello,

Did you READ what you agreed to do?
"If you resign or are terminated for any reason other than a job elimination (as determined within J.P. Morgan's discretion), prior to twenty four months from your hire date, you agree to immediately repay to J.P. Morgan the full amount of this one-time Payment within ten (10) days of your resignation or termination."
It doesn't say you had to be terminated for cause -- it says for any reason other than job elimination. You owe the money. You will find that they can pursue you through collections and court. Your credit will take a hit and you may have a hard time getting another job. If you work for banks, credit history is something that is checked for employment so if you don't pay, you can basically find yourself unemployable in that industry and others. As for discrimination -- what evidence do you have that you were fired because you were a man? Maybe you were fired because she didn't like your attitude or the way you dressed or the fact that you called off once.

#2fromthe.

Did you READ what you agreed to do?

It doesn't say you had to be terminated for cause -- it says for any reason other than job elimination. You owe the money. You will find that they can pursue you through collections and court. Your credit will take a hit and you may have a hard time getting another job. If you work for banks, credit history is something that is checked for employment so if you don't pay, you can basically find yourself unemployable in that industry and others. As for discrimination -- what evidence do you have that you were fired because you were a man? Maybe you were fired because she didn't like your attitude or the way you dressed or the fact that you called off once.
Her track record demonstrates her inability and unwillingness to work with men. My teammates were all very proud of the work I performed, as was I, and everyone on the floor was shocked and upset when I was let go. I have always, and did, perform great work and develop new relationships. They still use procedural documents I created through innovative and progressive thinking in their training practices.

I didn't come here to be bashed or mocked. I came here to explore options with helpful, knowledgeable, experienced people. If you do not have any of those qualities, please move on. Apparently, I ran across the wrong members and this isn't that sort of helpful forum. Rather, it is breeding ground for jaded individuals to make others feel incompetent when they ask for help in an area with which they are unfamiliar.

Moderators should be embarrassed of this type of behavior.

Silverplum

Her track record demonstrates her inability and unwillingness to work with men. My teammates were all very proud of the work I performed, as was I, and everyone on the floor was shocked and upset when I was let go. I have always, and did, perform great work and develop new relationships. They still use procedural documents I created through innovative and progressive thinking in their training practices.

I didn't come here to be bashed or mocked. I came here to explore options with helpful, knowledgeable, experienced people. If you do not have any of those qualities, please move on. Apparently, I ran across the wrong members and this isn't that sort of helpful forum. Rather, it is breeding ground for jaded individuals to make others feel incompetent when they ask for help in an area with which they are unfamiliar.

Your displeasure with your female boss is noted and dismissed as irrelevant.

Your displeasure with the forum members is noted and dismissed as irrelevant.

What else do you have for us today?

eerelations

"...terminated for any reason other than a job elimination" does not mean what you think it does.

I'm not so sure that you have a case for discrimination here. Before you go to the EEOC to make a complaint, ask yourself this: if your former boss is so gender-biased, why did she hire you in the first place?

Last edited:

Antigone*

Boy, I think I can see why you didn't last at JPM.:cool:

#2fromthe.

"...terminated for any reason other than a job elimination" does not mean terminated for cause.

I'm not so sure that you have a case for discrimination here. Before you go to the EEOC to make a complaint, ask yourself this: if your former boss is so gender-biased, why did she hire you in the first place?
Thank you for your suggestion- I believe it was to meet a hiring quota. She's done this several times according to my former teammates. If she hires them, she isn't discriminatory- no one tracks the hiring results.

justalayman

"...terminated for any reason other than a job elimination" does not mean what you think it does.

EE, how long does a person have to file a complaint with the EEOC. It would appear OP left JPM at least 6 months ago.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's 180 days. In some instances and in some states, that can be extended to 300 days.

#2fromthe.

Sorry, missed that bit. I'm not sure what the EEOC SOL is but if it is six months, then the OP is SOL. (No pun intended. :cool:)
Thank you, I suppose I didn't realize the SOL was so short. According to this page- the SOL is six months outside of a new law passing... http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/timeliness.cfm

That known, how would you proceed to try to handle this most advantageously considering my situation? Debt collection negotiations?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">