• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination resulting in not being hired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdrichmond

What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? FL
I recently applied to the city's Sheriff's Office and passed several pre-employment tests.
They performed a very extensive background check going back 10 years (I'm 29). I passed all of it except that my former supvervisor in the Navy said several untrue things about the 4 months that I worked for him. There is no documentation of poor performance. On the contrary, I received an exemplary review, recognizing me for leadership and initiative.

I received a letter stating that I was not being considered for a position as a police officer because of the statements of this reference. I called to confirm exactly what he said (all inaccuracies). This bitter old man was angry with me because I got him "in trouble" for something minor.

I have sent evidence of my good performance to the Sheriff's Office, including my honorable discharge and performance review. The HR guy said that my file had been sent to his supervisor and some Professional Standards person. I still have not heard from them, even though it's been 2 weeks. I do not believe I will be hired, even though I'm almost overqualified for the job (4 year degree in Criminal Justice, Officer in the Navy, etc.)

This Sheriff's Office has been accused of discriminating against white men (I am one) so I wonder if I have any cases here? I doubt I can prove slander/libel against my former supervisor, but can I get the hiring records of the Sheriff's Office to determine if those hired for this "class" are less qualified than I am?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdrichmond said:
What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? FL
I recently applied to the city's Sheriff's Office and passed several pre-employment tests.
They performed a very extensive background check going back 10 years (I'm 29). I passed all of it except that my former supvervisor in the Navy said several untrue things about the 4 months that I worked for him. There is no documentation of poor performance. On the contrary, I received an exemplary review, recognizing me for leadership and initiative.

I received a letter stating that I was not being considered for a position as a police officer because of the statements of this reference. I called to confirm exactly what he said (all inaccuracies). This bitter old man was angry with me because I got him "in trouble" for something minor.

I have sent evidence of my good performance to the Sheriff's Office, including my honorable discharge and performance review. The HR guy said that my file had been sent to his supervisor and some Professional Standards person. I still have not heard from them, even though it's been 2 weeks. I do not believe I will be hired, even though I'm almost overqualified for the job (4 year degree in Criminal Justice, Officer in the Navy, etc.)

This Sheriff's Office has been accused of discriminating against white men (I am one) so I wonder if I have any cases here? I doubt I can prove slander/libel against my former supervisor, but can I get the hiring records of the Sheriff's Office to determine if those hired for this "class" are less qualified than I am?

Thanks

My response:

So, because you choose to believe that your former supervisor's statements could not have made you ineligible, you'd rather go after the Sheriff's Department on a claim of "reverse discrimination"? So, you're saying that instead of climbing over a hill, you choose to climb Mount Everest?

I think you had better consult with an employment law attorney because you obviously have no idea of the necessary proof that would be required to show reverse discrimination.

By the way, do you have about 10 years to waste in litigation and appeals, and about $100,000.00 at your disposal for attorney's fees and costs?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">