• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination and retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bbsc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

Not sure where to post this one, but does anyone know if an employer has to make accomodations for an employee that is allergic to dogs and is being affected (short of breath) because other employees are bringing in their pet dogs? My husband and I were laid off under the pretext of reduction in force, but actually believe that it was a matter of discrimination and retaliation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To a certain extent, the answer to your question is yes, the employer does have to make accomodation IF your allergy is severe enough to qualify as a disability under the ADA. However, that accomodation does NOT have to be telling the employees to leave their dogs at home (though that would be my choice; in my opinion, barring a seeing-eye dog or as the other poster suggested a vet's clinic, bringing dogs to work is inappropriate); it can be a filter mask, a fan, or anything else that will work. Also, it is entirely your responsibility to put the employer on notice that an ADA accomodation is necessary.

Retaliation for what?

BelizeBreeze

If someone brings a dog into my office I 'retaliate' with mean cat. He's about 25 lbs, black as midnight and will 'jump' anything that's breathing....

I don't have that problem a second time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">