• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disgruntled Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA state.

I had an employee that quit a months ago and starting to use my name to discredit me from other current employee. This employee texted, using yahoo messenger, one current employee implying that I sent a text message making sexual advances to her. What should I do legally?

commentator

I assume since you "had an employee" that you are either the employer or a supervisor. While you might sue someone for libel personally, I'd say the fact that you are all "co-employees" or ex-employees of the same place is sort of irrelevant in this issue. There's no workplace law that says you can't slander your former boss, co-worker or supervisor on Facebook or by text message. If you did not, in fact, send such a text message, what difference does it make what they tell people. Who told you? Don't make this bigger than it is by over-reaction.

eerelations

If you have suffered some damages from this, you may sue the ex-employee for that. Quincy may weigh in soon with more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">