• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dish Network forcing employees to switch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeler1216

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My husband works for Dish Network in Bluewell, WV and they have now mandated that all workers of Dish get Dish Network as their cable service, or else they will be fired!! Now, my husband is in the security department for one, and for another thing I don't see how this is legal by any means by forcing people to switch their services or lose their job.

We go through Comcast and IF we HAVE to switch we would have to lose local channels, and order a bigger package just to have what we have now i.e. more money. We've had problems with Dish's service before and we've relayed that to the supers, but have been told "Well, we'll be shaking your hand on the way out".

Is this legal to force people to switch, and what can we do? Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Oh, and they have continuously called my husband at home on his days off to keep hounding him about switching, and they have now began to call other people in the security department to try getting them to make my husband give in.

Last edited:

cyjeff

There are many stories about a Coke employee being fired for drinking a Pepsi and vice versa.

Perfectly legal because there is no law against it.

Have you asked for a special "employee's" rate?

Hot Topic

What's unreasonable is an employee of Dish not supporting the company he works for by using a rival.

It's legal for a company you have a connection with (the bank where you keep your money, the bank that issued your credit card, the charity you donated to) to contact you as long as they don't do so after a certain hour. Calling your husband on his day off isn't illegal. If they're calling others to encourage him to "see the light," they're trying to avoid terminating him.

Wheeler1216

What's unreasonable is an employee of Dish not supporting the company he works for by using a rival.

It's legal for a company you have a connection with (the bank where you keep your money, the bank that issued your credit card, the charity you donated to) to contact you as long as they don't do so after a certain hour. Calling your husband on his day off isn't illegal. If they're calling others to encourage him to "see the light," they're trying to avoid terminating him.
I'm sorry you feel it's unreasonable, but it's not unreasonable for us. It's smarter. It's cheaper, and it has everything we and the children watch for much less than Dish offers. In order to even get close to what we have now we would not only be losing local channels, but having to go to a much bigger package which is much more expensive. That is unreasonable.

As for other employees calling, it's not up to them to try to "encourage" as you say, my husband for any reason. Our number isn't supposed to be getting passed around the work place to any employee whose on break at the moment, bored and has nothing to do. It's not any other employees business what goes on between my husband, H.R. and the VP of the co.

Wheeler1216

There are many stories about a Coke employee being fired for drinking a Pepsi and vice versa.

Perfectly legal because there is no law against it.

Have you asked for a special "employee's" rate?
My husband asked about a special rate, and he was told they have free programming for the employees. Come to find out, you still get billed every month for "free" It's the smallest package Dish has, which is fine, BUT...my husband was told if he wanted or needed a bigger package (to be comparable to ours presently) he would pay full price and wouldn't be given any employee discount. So, all in all, we'd be losing channels, paying more, and it's a big circle of nonsense.

Anyhow, thank you all for replying. We'll get it figured out eventually. Have a great night!!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">