• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dishonest and volatile employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mcbkgb

What is the name of your state? PA

There is an employee of my small company (50 employees) that is very disruptive. I am part of the company management team, but this particular employee reports to another manager. This employee repeatedly lies, argues with customers and verbally attacks fellow employees.

On Friday she screamed at me personally in front of the entire office accusing me of various things including "endangering the life of her child" by not putting through a series of personal phone calls. (Keep in mind that these phone calls were never made into the office.) Upper management would like to have her fired, but fear that she could sue the company. For example, the case of Fridays outburst, they are concerned about her accusation of me endangering her child.

Is PA an "At Will" state? Are we really forced to keep an employee that screams at customers and employees?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, PA is an at-will state. Unless she has a contract that specifies under what conditions she can be terminated and those conditions have not been met, your employer is at liberty to fire her.

Unless there are significant facts that you have left out, she would have no grounds to sue the company.

Beth3

I agree with cbg. Of course you're not forced to keep this employee, nor do I see any basis for her to pursue a lawsuit.

Your management is being very foolish to retain any employee, especially this one, out of fear of a lawsuit. If they're really that worred about it, then they should consult with their labor attorney - and then fire the witch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">