• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disipline and Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

9481mic

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I work for the Government as a supervisor. I had drinks with subordinates at a bar, (we were not in uniform) and we all told some off color jokes. Now I am being told, that was improper conduct for a supervisor and that I can be fired for that behavior. No one was offended, and no one at the bar knew we worked for the Govt. Can they tell me who I can associate with outside of work? Can they discipline me for associating with subordinates when not at work? Are they infringing on my civil, or 1st amendment rights? Can they actually fire me for something I did outside of work? Any advise would be very helpful

Last edited:

rachel4

:(
9481mic said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I work for the Government as a supervisor. I had drinks with subordinates at a bar, (we were not in uniform) and we all told some off color jokes. Now I am being told, that was improper conduct for a supervisor and that I can be fired for that behavior. No one was offended, and no one at the bar knew we worked for the Govt. Can they tell me who I can associate with outside of work? Can they discipline me for associating with subordinates when not at work? Are they infringing on my civil, or 1st amendment rights? Can they actually fire me for something I did outside of work? Any advise would be very helpful
Wow, that's a lot of questions. I'm sure someone will be able to answer them soon;) .
One question for you...who's telling you that was improper conduct?
I hear that CO (esp Denver) is full of racism (and guns:( ).Just curious.
rachel:)

Beth3

Can they tell me who I can associate with outside of work? Yes. You in turn are free to disregard your employer's direction and potentially be terminated. Your employer does not appear to be objecting to who you associate with however - just how you behaved when you did.

Can they discipline me for associating with subordinates when not at work? Same answer as above.

Are they infringing on my civil, or 1st amendment rights? No.

Can they actually fire me for something I did outside of work? Of course. Let's say you go to your manager's house on the weekend and spray paint obscene graffitti all over his property. Of course they can fire you for that even though you were off-duty.

Your employer is liable for certain aspects of your conduct involving other employees even when you're not at work. One of your subordinates/co-workers could easily claim your jokes amounted to sexual harassment/sex discrimination and they just went along in the moment because you are the boss and they felt you would retaliate if they said anything in the moment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">