• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissed for asking for amount promised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DFHSr

What is the name of your state? California

I was interviewed to manage one of a company's stores. It was a base salary plus bonus. After I accepted, I was told my base would be less for the 2 weeks I was to spend training at another location. The day before I was to go to the location I was hired for, I was told not to tell the current manager of our deal. They said they had another management position for him and they would tell him later. I was to use this time to get to know the store and the staff. After 2 weeks I asked if they had told him. They said no, I should and since technically we were both managing the store, we would have to split the bonus.

After I was told of the bonus split, I asked about having my base go up as promised. They said they would get back to me after the weekend. On Monday I was told we would meet Tuesday morning. On Tuesday mornig I was dismissed for "miscommunication of compensation". When I asked if I had done anything wrong I was told "No, you haven't done anything wrong. We're just afraid you'll keep asking for more money as time goes by."

Also, the week before I went to the training store, I was required to go to their offices on one day to fill out forms and anther for an orientation. When I asked why I didn't receive a check for that week I got a check for 1/5 of my salary. My salary is discribed as 52 equal checks per year.

This is a service store. I was hired because of my experience and reputation in the community. I had been spreading the word about my new position and many of my clients had began coming in.

Is this wrongful termination? Do I deserve the balance of my first check?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this is not a wrongful termination.

Whether or not you are owed the balance of the bonus depends on the exact terms of the bonus agreeement. You should probably take whatever documentation you have to a local attorney who is versed in employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">