• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a Disorderly Conduct a "Criminal Conviction?"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbchomebrew

What is the name of your state? PA

Long story short, I was doing 30 MPH over the limit & caught. I was in a position where I had to have a DL to work, but a citation for 30 MPH or more over the limit in PA (I was told at the time) would cause me to lose my license for a time (if memory serves me correctly--6 months, but I could be wrong).

I pled Not Guilty and went to the Court Date, hoping that the officer would not show up, or at worst, I could reason with him. He didn't, but his superior did and said there was no way he was letting the District Justice dismiss my case w/ no penalty when I was speeding as fast as I was going-- my memory is iffy here as this occurred 6 years ago.

Anyway, he offered to withdraw the speeding citation & have me plead to Disorderly Conduct which would not have any points on my license and not raise my insurance premiums. I took the deal.

Now, I'm changing jobs & my new employer is going to do a background check. They are asking me on the application (I've already been offered the position but must fill out the application for their records) if I've ever been convicted of a crime. It goes on to have me describe the "criminal conviction."

Is a Disorderly Conduct a Criminal conviction? Not answering truthfully is cause for termination.

I've been told by my new supervisor that this particular event will not keep me from getting the job, but do I need to disclose it here? Will it even show up on the professional background check that a NYC company does on me?

What I want to know is should I just Check "yes" I've been convicted of a crime, and outline what I've written above, assuming that the background check people will find it, or should I check "No" because a Disorderly Conduct will not show up or is not considered a Criminal Conviction? I want to be forthright & truthful, but looking at the application, checking "Yes" for something that was essentially a plea bargain for a speeding ticket just doesn't seem "criminal" to me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When in doubt, you're safer to disclose it. We can't possibly know if it will show up on a background check because we don't know how deep or thorough a check will be made. Not all background checks are created equal - they can and do range from simply calling your previous employers to confirm dates of employment, to a deep-background check that includes checking you through the FBI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">