• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disparate Treatment/Wrongful Term.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DianeKaj

Please help me!! I was singled out for lay off from a privately owned company in Ohio. My last day of work was 1/6/01. I was the only employee laid off at the corporate office. It was strictly my supervisor's decision, which she refused to explain, telling me she did not have to tell me why I was being laid off. I requested to return to my job in the field, but was told that would be impossible. A V.P. later told me that the supervisor made her decision based on my uncooperativeness, contradicting her own excellent review of my performance three days earlier which states that I was in fact cooperative. The V.P. also informed me that my education (I would soon earn my MBA, making me the most educated female in the company)scared my supervisor, as she lacks a college degree. He promised me, as did the owner, that I would return to work in March. I have not. I have worked for the company for 8 years and have received nothing but excellent reviews. I've never been reprimanded for anything in that time. Now for the interesting part....

This company has ALL female employees reporting to one female supervisor, regardless of the employee's location and responsibilites. ALL female employees are hired in and categorized as administrative support or clerks, with no promotional opportunities. There is one male categorized as support. All other male salaried employees are managers and VPs. The female supervisor is the only female manager in the company. Also, male employees are accomodated, in terms of relocation and being hired back after they quit, were fired or retire. The company also has NO written policy manual and refers to itself as "a family," where one really has to screw up to be let go. I know Ohio is an "at-will" employment state, but do I have a case for wrongful termination or disparate treatment under Title VII. The company also neglected to reimburse me for tuition expenses in 2000, despite another employee receiving her's. What should I do and has my time run out?

Thank you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">