• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do companies really go after employees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kempo927

Here is some additional information I left off. First time I wrote the post all was lost.

The company oversold what the end of year bonus would be. The year was over half over and I believe they know a bonus payout was extremely unlikely because I knew I would not get a bonus the first week I got to work. There was also mention of other benifits in the offer letter that did not take effect for over a year. This was a major factor in me taking the job. Saying that, it would not be worth my time/money/energy to try an fight it in court. The deck is stacked against the little guy. Knowing all of that I am just trying to weigh my options.

What is the name of your state? CA

Signed my offer letter which said I would repay a sign on bonus if I left before one year.

In practice has anyone known of a company to go after an employee for 8K? (Seems like a company could get some bad press)

If it does not say can I assume the amount is pro-rated?

If I drag my feet can I likely settle for the same amount or less?

Thanks!

Last edited:

C

CheeseBlotto

Just to make sure I understand, you're seeking legal advice as to whether a company will come after you for not paying back money you promised to pay? The legal answer is yes, of course they can. Whether they will is up to them. I certainly hope they do.

Why do you think going after lying scumbags will result in bad publicity?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Some companies do, some companies don't. Yes, I have known companies to do so. Since my crystal ball is being recalibrated, I can't tell you whether your company will or not.

HomeGuru

kempo927 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Signed my offer letter which said I would repay a sign on bonus if I left before one year.

In practice has anyone known of a company to go after an employee for 8K? (Seems like a company could get some bad press)

If it does not say can I assume the amount is pro-rated?

If I drag my feet can I likely settle for the same amount or less?

Thanks!

**A: pay up**************

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">