• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crafterkathy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was fired by my employer on Friday after 5 1/2 years of service. I know that Pennsylvania, like many other states, is an "at will" state and that is basically the reason they gave for firing me. I'm just wondering if I have any cause for action against them.

I was working for a private, non-profit institution. I started working there about 5 1/2 years ago and have received excellent performance reviews every year. About 5 months ago my department got a new VP. My position was the executive secretary to this person. From the very beginning this person came in and said he did not need a secretary and he was going to promote me to a new position. He said it would take some time to get all the approvals and paperwork to go through, but as far as he was concerned I was promoted to a different position. He also promised me a large raise because he believed I was being highly underpaid. A few weeks later while the VP was out of town I got a call from the secretary in HR asking me if I was the secretary for the VP and could I schedule an appointment on his calendar. I told the person that I was not his secretary and he kept his own calendar. When the VP returned from his trip he reprimanded me for "Going around and telling everyone that you're not my secretary." He had apparently gotten a call from the HR director confused about the situation and wondering why they hadn't gotten any paperwork about my promotion. Several weeks later I was told by my VP that he was being forced to have a secretary, so I would remain in that position and would not be promoted.

Aside from this situation with me, the VP created a very negative workplace for every person in my department. He was constantly making inappropriate comments (including sexist and racial remarks), giving everyone a hard time about everything, lying to the staff, disappearing for hours on end with no explanation. It became an extremely hostile environment resulting in most of the staff (including me) going to HR to file complaints. We were assured by HR that our complaints were confidential. I specifically asked if the VP would be informed that I complained or what I complained about and was assured by HR that he would not. HR promised us they would take care of the situation. A few days later the President of the institution came over to meet with the staff and basically told us they were standing by the VP and it was time for us to get back to work. I eventually found out through the grapevine that our VP was, in fact, informed of who complained and what the complaints were.

Over the last two months things continued to deteriorate in the department. Staff morale was at an all time low and people were trying to set up appointments with HR again; however I was not one of those people this time around. HR responded to one of my co-workers that they would not be meeting with anyone from the department. Around the same time another co-worker had a huge disagreement with the VP and, unable to go to HR, was able to set up a meeting the President to complain. We were told that the President was again coming to our department to discuss the situation but we would all be meeting with the VP for individual appointments prior to that. They scheduled my appointment first and fired me during that appointment. The first reason they gave me was that it was a negative environment and they thought I was part of creating that negativity. Their second reason was that PA is an at-will state. I have since found out that every other person who initially complained to HR was placed on probation.

So, I’m just wondering what anyone thinks about this situation. HR gave me an agreement to sign saying that they will give me severance if I agree not to sue the institution. I have to fax it to them by noon Monday. Should I sign away my rights to get the severance or do you think I have a case to file for wrongful termination?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Should I sign away my rights to get the severance?
A: Yes if you want your severance, no if you do not want your severance.

Q: do you think I have a case to file for wrongful termination?
A: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">