• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights at all here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Panicked

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have worked for a four-physician practice as a medical transcriptionist for 2 years. I worked three months in the office and then was allowed to take the work home. I was still an employee with paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and insurance but was paid on production (by the line typed). Three weeks ago I went to pick up my work as usual and there was nothing. I was told that they were using a transcription service on a trial basis for backup when I was out. I waited a week and saw very little work. I began actively searching for a new job, found one and turned in my resignation with my last day being Dec. 23rd. This week so far I have absolutely no work, so I will get no pay. Question #1 is can they do this? and question 2 is will I have to pay out of my pocket for my insurance since I have earned no salary to take it from?

Panicked

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Yes, they can do this. Nothing in the law says they can't find an alternate way of handling transcription, even if it puts you out of a job.

2.) That depends entirely upon whatever agreement you had with your employers about the insurance. It's not a legal issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">