• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elko81

Defamation of character?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Nevada
I was asked to assume the responsibilities of bar manager when the owner of the establishment I bartended for abruptly fired his bar manager for stealing from him. He told me that he was in financial distress and couldn't afford to give me any extra money until his finances were back in order. I trusted his word and agreed to help. My first order of business was to get him back on his feet. I implemented an inventory control system for him, took over payroll, set up a file system and computerized it , implemented proceedures to prevent employee theft, and managed/trained empoyees. I did all of this and more on my own time, believing that he would compensate me once my efforts turned him a profit. Instead of compensation I got fired...This is the series of events prior to termination....One evening, an acquaintance of mine showed up at my house to inform me that she had just left the bar I managed. She thought I should know that one of my employees was putting me down and complaining about me to the owner. The next day at work, another employee asked me what was wrong with the owner, why was he so grumpy. He also told her that a former employer of mine said I sold drugs from behind the bar. Upon hearing this statement I decided to confront the employee who was complaining and my boss. The employee said that she didnt have a problem with me and denied saying anything derrogatory. I asked my boss if we needed to go have a talk with my former employer. I told him what i heard he was saying and that if he believed it that i wanted to confront my former employer with those false allegations. He said that there was no problem and that he didnt know what i was talking about. We shook hands and I told him that if he had any questions to please come to me with them first. Supposedly everything was fine. Two days later was payday, and I got my check . Then I had one day off. The fourth day, just as i was walking out the door to go to work, the phone rang and it was my boss telling me that i need not come in, my shifts had been covered, the locks changed and I was terminated. When I asked why, he said, " I'm not going to get into that now" I was in shock. He also said that since I had just gotten paid that we were even. Then he hung up on me. The problem is that we are not even. He never paid me for the time and efforts i put in for managerial duties. Can I still get that compensation? Also, since I was terminated more than one customer from there has contacted me to let me know that he was telling people he fired me because I was selling drugs at his establishment. They also said that they would testify on my behalf if needed. His accusation is totally unjustified, I never sold drugs there, nor do I use them. Can I sue for slander and recovery of wages? What are my rights?

Last edited:

pattytx

An employer is not legally required to pay you more because you took on extra duties. There is no claim for unpaid wages from what you have posted.

elko81

I know that he isn't obligated to pay more just because I took on the extra duties, but he made a promise to me that he would pay me. Doesn't that account for anything? Also, isn't it concidered deffamation of character for him to tell people that I sold drugs at his bar and that that is why he terminated my employment? I have small children that I am trying to raise in this relatively small community and my reputation is important to me. What if people believe him?

pattytx

I can only address the compensation issue, as the other is not my area of expertise, I'm sure someone versed in that issue will be along soon.

Unfortunately, a verbal "promise" is only as good as the paper it is written on. Unless you had a valid, enforceable contract (not just an email or a conversation), you really have no legal recourse. Not following through on such a promise may not be fair, but it doesn't rise to a violation of labor law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">