• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ae830

What is the name of your state? MD

My position was recently eliminated and I was told that I would receive a severance package equal to one months salary. In the meeting with my boss where he informed of the position elimination I specifically asked if I found another position would the severance agreement still be honored and he said it would. I did find another position and informed my boss that I start on Monday and need Friday to be my last day (estimated last day according to the severance agreement was in May). He informed me that if I leave and do not train my replacement, a friend of the President of our company, that I would not receive any severance at all. The severance agreement did not mention anything about the transition of the new employee. If the position was in fact eliminated, there should be no one to train.
About severance packages at my company - we had and incident occur where one employee made violent threats and was terminated immediately but was given 6 weeks of severance. Every other person who has been terminated has been given a severance package regardless of whether they stayed and trained a new employee or not. Why am I the exception.
Also, the President came to my office to discuss the position elimination and mentioned to me that they need a more 'mature' employee for my position.
From the information provided, does it sound like I have a case?

K

krispenstpeter

From the information provided, does it sound like I have a case?
A case of what? Tuna, Dewars Black Label or Nike sneakers?

Beth3

"does it sound like I have a case?" No. Your employer is not obligated to provide severance in the first place, nor are they obligated to provide it to you even though they have provided it to others.

If they wish to rescind their offer because you are leaving for another job sooner than they anticipated, or because you're only giving a week's notice, or because you are unable to train someone on your job duties before you go, they may.

BTW - just because your position is being eliminated does not mean that your job duties vanish. They are usually distributed to others in a situation like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">