• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TXMedic

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a paramedic in Texas. I was hired by an EMS service belonging to a not-for-profit county hospital at the beginning of August. I was terminated 12 September for "having two at-fault accidents." The first incident involved driving under an awning causing very minor damage to some equipment on top of the 'box' (less than $500). The second incident occured in response to a call. We were driving through the very packed parking lot of a college when the back of the truck caused a four inch scratch to another vehicle. Campus PD on-scene "blue-formed" it and we finished the call.

This was my first time to ever drive an ambulance. I received no driving instruction during my necessary field training period. The department policy states that a driving instruction course must be given to new-hires but this was never done. Also, they state that substance abuse testing must occur after an accident. This, also, never happened. The hospital's policy gives only two reasons for termination due to traffic incidents: one, if the driver's license is revoked/suspended due to an accident (neither incident is on my driving record), and two, if the hospital's insurance carrier cannot cover the individual (I work for a county service who is covered under the same policy and there has never been a problem.) Other employees have told me, after my termination, that multiple individuals have done "far worse" than I ever did and they're still employed.

I attempted to file for a post-termination grievance hearing but was denied because I was within my 90-day probation period. Do have any legal recourse? If so, could a judge reinstate me? (I know, I know. Aside from one of the supervisors, this is a great job and I really want to go back to work for this service.)

Beth3

Do have any legal recourse? Not that I can see. You were a probationary employee and had two at fault accidents. It may not have been fair to terminate you since they never provided you with any driving instruction but that does not make your termination unlawful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">