• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sesso_fiore

What is the name of your state? Colorado (Corporate office in Arizona)

Discrimination occured in CO

I was fired from my job of 7 years after repeatedly requesting reasonable accommodation of flexible hours for narcolepsy, and complaining of discrimination and unfair treatment. I was held to a higher standard and had different requirements placed on me than others in the company in the same context. Finally requested to be moved to part-time position, boss agreed but then didn't do anything for 2 weeks, I took a week of vacation, was fired the day after my return.

I have documentation of the 2 original emails requesting reduced hours, and the final letter requesting a part-time schedule. I also have my positive performance review dated June of 2005, as well as numerous emails of praise from my colleagues. The June 2005 performance review grants me home office privileges that I requested due to a hostile work environment resulting from discrimination.

Additional info: Office manager violated HIPAA laws by discussing my condition without authorization, I believe I was improperly classified as 'exempt' and regularly worked 40+ hours per week, company has Federal Gov. contracts in excess of 10k anually

tigger22472

sesso_fiore said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado (Corporate office in Arizona)

Discrimination occured in CO

I was fired from my job of 7 years after repeatedly requesting reasonable accommodation of flexible hours for narcolepsy, and complaining of discrimination and unfair treatment. I was held to a higher standard and had different requirements placed on me than others in the company in the same context. Finally requested to be moved to part-time position, boss agreed but then didn't do anything for 2 weeks, I took a week of vacation, was fired the day after my return.

****What was the reason given for your firing? By your own accounts it sounds, absent the discrimination you say you suffered, as if you were unable to fullfill your job duties. Can you prove you were held to a higher standard than other employees IN THE SAME POSITION as you?

I have documentation of the 2 original emails requesting reduced hours, and the final letter requesting a part-time schedule. I also have my positive performance review dated June of 2005, as well as numerous emails of praise from my colleagues. The June 2005 performance review grants me home office privileges that I requested due to a hostile work environment resulting from discrimination.

****What was your reasoning for asking for reduced hours and a part time schedule? If it was job ability that could cover your boss.

Additional info: Office manager violated HIPAA laws by discussing my condition without authorization, I believe I was improperly classified as 'exempt' and regularly worked 40+ hours per week, company has Federal Gov. contracts in excess of 10k anually
The only people held to HIPAA laws are those in the medical field and healthcare workers. If you told your office manager of some issues with your health they are under no obligation to get your permission to discuss this with anyone. Your doctor would be held in violation if they spoke to your employee without your permission but that's all.

Beth3

Office manager violated HIPAA laws by discussing my condition without authorization That does not remotely violate HIPAA reg's.

I believe I was improperly classified as 'exempt' and regularly worked 40+ hours per week You may contact your State's Department of Labor to discuss your job responsibilities and see if that's the case.

company has Federal Gov. contracts in excess of 10k anually That's not relevant to anything.

I was fired from my job of 7 years after repeatedly requesting reasonable accommodation of flexible hours for narcolepsy, and complaining of discrimination and unfair treatment. You may contact your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC and file a complaint. FYI though, it hasn't been established that you have a disability as defined in the ADA or that your employer did not offer a reasonable accommodation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">