• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mac459

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Went through the hiring process for Walmart. Had the offer interview,etc. Took a drug screen,passed. Well a few months back, my wife and my neighbor got into an altercation. As a result of that there were complaints of disorderly conduct filed against both parties. The judge gave us all a Deferred Adjudication. Well when I filled out the application for Walmart, the question asked is if you have ever been arrested convicted or sentenced for a crime. This Deferrred Adjudication, I have forgotten all about until I got a letter stating that Walmart could not hire me due to this charge. I called Walmart and they stated that they consider this an arrest. The charge was a "chest butt". Do I have any recourse?

Last edited:

mlane58

mac459 said:
Went through the hiring process for Walmart. Had the offer interview,etc. Took a drug screen,passed. Well a few months back, my wife and my neighbor got into an altercation. As a result of that there were complaints of disorderly conduct filed against both parties. The judge gave us all a Deferred Adjudication. Well when I filled out the application for Walmart, the question asked is if you have ever been arrested convicted or sentenced for a crime. This Deferrred Adjudication, I have forgotten all about until I got a letter stating that Walmart could not hire me due to this charge. I called Walmart and they stated that they consider this an arrest. The charge was a "chest butt". Do I have any recourse?
Most employers will consider a deferred adjudication a conviction. It appears that because you didn't disclose it is why you weren't hired. You have no recourse but to look for another job elsewhere as CheeseBlotto stated.

mac459

mlane58 said:
Most employers will consider a deferred adjudication a conviction. It appears that because you didn't disclose it is why you weren't hired. You have no recourse but to look for another job elsewhere as CheeseBlotto stated.
Thanks for you response. A conviction would not be placed in a probationary period would it not? I have no issue looking for another job, however there was no arrest, conviction, nor sentencing for a "chest butt".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're missing the point. It's not whether it was an arrest, a conviction or what; it's that you omitted it from your application.

That you "forgot" about it just won't wash with most employers.

mac459

Do I have a Case?

Omitted it? They ask if you ever been convicted of a felony, and also have you been convicted of any type of theft, fraud or violent crime? I have the application in front of me and nothing about probation for a misdemeanor. So how am I ommitting any information?

rachel4

mac459 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what is a "deferred adjudication" anyway? And why did the judge involve you if the altercation was between your wife and a neighbor (also female?)?
Who "chest butted" who (sounds like something on "Reno 911";) ) ?
just curious.
rachel:)

mac459

Breaking up a fight. I stepped in the middle of the fight, then her girlfriend gets in my face claiming that she knows the police. When the cops arrived after sorting everyone's story the friend stated that I "chest butted" her. The case went to court. We pleaded not guilty. The prosecutor then place all on a 6 month probation pending that we did not break the law....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">