• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case? Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ech1986

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I was recently fired for "breaking a rule" that was not a rule at the time of my termination. They changed the rule one day later. We were always told that we could hang out at work after we were off the clock as long as we had a jacket over our uniform even if we wanted to drink. I have several co-workers willing to testify to this point. The night of my "crime" other employees were there doing the same exact thing, one of them was not even wearing a jacket(I was). They called me the next day and fired me for drinking in uniform even though I had on a jacket covering my unform while I was off the clock. I was the only one terminated. I was doing what I was told to be acceptable. I had been there for almost a year and a half and this is what we always did. I was a good employee and I always did what was expected of me. I was not one to break rules. I never recieved a handbook or anything stating that I was breaking a rule.I never signed anything. I have several witnesses willing to back me up. They even lied to un-employment so I could not recieve benefits. I'm just wondering if I have any kind of a case? Thank you!

Last edited:

Betty

I see no illegal termination here. Ms. is an at-will employment state & you can be terminated at any time for any reason not protected by law (ie can't be terminated JUST because of age, gender, race) or unless you had a CBA or bona fide employment contract to the contrary.

If they denied the UI - appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">