• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case of Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oneofakind9696

What is the name of your state? MD

I was fired for alledged inappropriate comments, nice @$$ and allegedly asking the accuser out numerous times. The accusations are completely false and I was NEVER spoken to from management regarding such. I was simply brought into the office, told I do an excellent job and that these accusations were made and that I was terminated. I did defend my position that the accuser, to the contrary, had asked me out numerous times, in which, twice, I had a couple drinks at a public bar and went home. No physical contact, no inappropriate conversations. I never had an opportunity to dispute or defend myself during the termination and the documented, alleged comments took place just two days ago. Should I pursue an investigation with a lawyer or the EEOC. The accuser has shown distasteful material on her computer to numerous co-workers and brings alcohol to work with her on a daily basis.

Beth3

While it's very unfortunate you were terminated, it was not unlawful. The employer may terminate you upon suspicion of sexual harassment, even if they are wrong.

oneofakind9696

further question

After reveiwing my company handbook and speaking today with the gentleman that administered the termination, there is no where stated in the company handbook that they support or enforce a sexual harrassment policy. No training was provided. There is e-mail/internet, drug, absence, and alcohol policies stated. Nothing with reguard to SH. Also, the gentleman told me that the SOP is to provide a strong final warning and that this did not happen this time because by the time it got to him he has 4 ladies in the office collaborating on their stories. Do I have a loophole in that I can shift from the reason for termination to the way it was handled from 1) a discriminatory manner - no one else was immediatly terminated and / or 2) There is not stated, posted, or otherwise provided SH policy?

oneofakind9696

Additional Note

My former employer (as of yesterday) did not speak with me, the spoke with my wife and disclosed everything to her without verifying that she was even my wife. The further told her that the accuser is on a final written warning for attendance after she brough it to their attention that they were inconsistently administering their policies. Is it legal for them to disclose facts about my situation or the accuser publicly? Even though they didn't tell her anything new?

I really appreciate you answering this, a night of no sleep and worry.....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not required that there be an SH policy before someone can be termed for that reason. This is not going to be a wrongful term on that basis no matter how you slice it.

Nothing in your post supports this being discriminatory. It's not enough that no one else was immediately termed; you would have to show VALID evidence that you were termed BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal for them to disclose facts about this publically. They can take out a billboard on the Interstate if they want to.

I understand that you're upset and I don't blame you. But this just is not illegal. It may be unfair, I don't know, but unfair does not give you legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">