• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

medicracer

What is the name of your state? Ga

to make a long story short. i was working for an ambulance company, and was a part of training, as a training officer. my patient care record was above reproach, and members of management was actually trying to help me get nominated for a state award of recognition. well, i was applying for a job with a fire dept. i went thru all of the pre-hire testing and everything was looking good. i was terminated from my job for poor job performance and the like (wasn't happy there anyways so no big deal really) but like i said i was one of the "best" in my job duties, as represented by my "title". well, i was told by the fire dept. that i would get a phone call on X date for my starting date and time. well that call came in the form of not hiring me due to a "very bad" reference from my previous employer. i dont know exactly what was said and cannot get a response from the fire dept. on what was said. what more info would be needed to see if i have any recourse and if so what would it be?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether you have any recourse or not will depend on EXACTLY what was said and by whom.

It is not illegal to give a bad reference. It is illegal to give an untrue reference. If the company tells the truth, or what they honestly believe to be the truth, you have no recourse. This holds true even if you disagree with what was said, and even if they were incorrect in their beliefs.

If, however, someone out and out LIED (and the burden of proof is on you to prove that they lied and were not honestly mistaken) then there MAY be some legal action you can take.

Consult local counsel.

M

medicracer

how do i get the proof they lied?
and what about defamation of character?
it seems obvious to me(although biased) that this was deliberate and malicious in intent.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, first you need to find out exactly what they said. And that's going to be tough, because they have NO legal obligation to tell you.

I say again, consult local counsel.

Medicracer,

Go to www.myreferences.com

For a small fee (I think less than $50) they will give you a written report on EXACTLY who said what, After you find out what was said, if you think you have a case, take your evidence to an attorney for a consultation. Suspicions and heresay aren't good enough.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">