• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to disclose disability info at time of hiring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bsnowden

I live in Texas. I am covered by ADA, but my medical condition doesn't effect everyday life. It will flare up occasionally though and this might require staying home for any length of time or even hospitalization. What is crazy about this disease is that I "look" fine... but don't feel fine, so it is decieving. Do I need to disclose this information and the exact nature of my illness to the employer? Also, I'm a teacher if that makes a difference. I might be signing my hiring paperwork Thursday, Sept. 1st! So, please help fast! If you need more information, I'll be glad to give it. I just didn't know if you wanted to know all the nasty details. Thank you SO much for this service!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you do not need to disclose this information until you actually need an accomodation. But you need to be aware that unless you have HIV or AIDS, you are not *automatically* covered by the ADA. NO condition, with those exceptions, has guaranteed coverage - it is looked at on a case by case basis and determined by whether your condition significantly impairs a major life activity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">