• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncho

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was recently terminated on May 6, 2005, due to gross miscondcut after 2.5 years of employment. I was contacted on May 6, 2005 by my HR department to let me know that I had been terminated. I was told that they had discovered some fabricated expense report receipts. I had requested that they send me proof of the allegations. I was told that they were unable to send me any documentation to support their allegations. I was told that they had contacted several merchants and American Express regarding my personal credit card charges (this was a personal credit card, is this legal?). The HR department advised me that there would be a full investigation and that they would contact me regarding any money that I needed to repay. I never received a termination letter, however, I received my last paycheck and a letter stating that my benefits have been teriminated because of my resignation (I did not resign, I was terminated). I received a phone call today (May 23) from my former employer stating that they had done a full investigation and calculated that I owe them $6000. The HR person asked if it was okay for them to withhold 4 expense reports reimbursements they owe me (totaling $3000) to offset the $6000 that I owe. I once again have requested that they send me proof of these allegations. I was told that they would need to check with their legal counsel and that they may decide to prosecute. Should I seek legal counsel?? Please advise?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since they're talking about prosecution, yes, you definitely need a lawyer.

Keep in mind that if they believe you falsified your expense reports, they can legally fire you, even if they are wrong. They are not legally required to show you proof. They may or may not be able to require you to make repayment; that's something you can ask the lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">