• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a "pink slip"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashley Mastro

What is the name of your state? California.
I was verbally terminated last week, but my manager said I could stay as long as I wanted to find another job. I have no interest in working for her past cleaning off my desk. Too uncomfortable. She assures me that I will be able to collect unemployment, but will not commit to a "date" for my termination. Do I need a document in my hand before I can leave? Help...

Beth3

Do you NEED a document in hand before you leave? No.

The question is (a) whether you can trust your boss when she says she won't contest your claim for UC benefits if you leave right away, and (b) whether the State will grant benefits to begin with since you walked away from a job where you could have continued to work - at least for some period of time. I don't know that anyone here can answer that question, although CA does have very employee-friendly employment reg's.

As uncomfortable as the situation may be, it might be a good idea to seriously consider staying on while you conduct your job search: you'll still be receiving a paycheck and you don't know how long it will take to find a new job.

A

Ashley Mastro

Thanks, Beth3. I appreciate the advice. Thing is, this has happened before (they fired me last March) and what I did then was pluck away at my job while I was looking... Almost one of the hardest things I've ever done... Holding your head up when you know you're not valuable. And they eventually told me they thought they could make it work. I've never had a written review, never been given written specifics about what I should be doing that I'm not doing. I think this is at the least not a well-managed environment... So it comes down to me trusting my manager, who happens to be the person who recruited me in the first place because I designed her kitchen when I worked for someone else...And who says she is my friend... Yikes. Thanks again!

And, she did assure me that she would make sure I got full unemployment benefits. She even quoted (verbally) what she would write on the paperwork, something like, "inability to perform job requirements". Should I call EDD and see if I'm elegible? I'm still sitting at work, doing nothing...

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can call and ask, and I admit that I don't know the unemployment laws in your state very well, but in every state that I DO know (and that's considerably more than just my own) you would not be eligible for unemployment if you leave now, under the facts in your post. It will be up to the state whether you receive benefits; NOT your employer. All she can attest to is whether or not she will contest, but I have had employees turned down for benefits when I did not contest, because they did not qualify under the laws in my state. The unemployment commission is not going to approve benefits when you do not qualify, even if the employer does not object.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">