• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I owe my old employer money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

employee0603

What is the name of your state? AR

A few months ago I turned in a two week notice into my employer because I was changing careers. Two weeks after I quite a check was deposited into my account which I assumed was my vacation pay. Then two weeks later I received another payroll check from them. I contacted them and notified them that it appeared that they did not take me off of their payroll and they corrected the issue. Recently I received a certified letter requesting that I pay them the money back. However, the are asking for more money that I believe I owe them. What should I do?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they accidently paid you for time you did not work, then yes you owe them the money. You can certainly ask them for an accounting of why they believe you owe the amount they say, but if I were in your shoes I'd also immediately pay the amount I did not dispute. For one thing, if you don't pay them they can sue you, and they will win; if you pay the undisputed amount it not only limits the amount they can sue for, they may not sue at all if they see you are dealing with them in good faith.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">