• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I qualify for having "good cause" to quit my job in FL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, I have been contemplating quitting my job for the past month. I've been with the company for 4 years, since it's inception. I need to know if I would be eligible for unemployment benefits while I find another job. My main reasons for wanting to quit are that my part time helper joined the Navy and my employer won't replace her. He asked me to take a pay cut to replace her. He also asked me to write lists of job duties for myself and for my helper and also keep a daily time log, for which I've complied with. I'm having to prove that I need a position that's been already with the company for 8 months. I'm an office manager and a payroll processor for 935 employees, you can do the math on that one!

My boss didn't require other employees to make the same logs/lists. He also stated that I couldn't work overtime to get my job done. I feel physically ill going back to work and I called in sick today, which I very seldom do. I came up with a list to re-distribute some of the work load and he turned it down, saying we would continue to talk about labor distribution. I'm feeling like he thinks I don't do very much and we're having a lot of personality conflict lately. There are other issues but those are the basics. Are those considered "good cause" for quitting and to be eligible for unemployment? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Beth3

Are those considered "good cause" for quitting and to be eligible for unemployment? No. It is extremely unlikely you would be eligible for UC benefits if you quit your job for these reasons.

Thanks for the reply, Beth. Are you a lawyer? What are good causes for quitting a job? I thought my boss asking me to take a pay cut was a damn good reason! Also, asking me to keep list and logs that aren't being required of the rest of the staff is unfair treatment. How about a heart attack? Would that qualify? LOL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is considered good cause to quit and receive benefits varies from state to state, but for the most part you have to have been subjected to ILLEGAL (not unfair, not unethical, but ILLEGAL) behavior to qualify.

In my state, if you quit because of a pay cut you are automatically disqualified for benefits since the state is not going to pay you to quit your job so that you receive NO income instead of SOME income. However, if you stay on the job at the lower rate, you can be eligible for partial benefits to make up the difference. I can't say for certain about Florida, never having had the subject come up with my employees in that state, but since my state is considerably more liberal and EXTREMELY more employee-friendly than Florida, I think it extremely unlikely that Florida is any different. You are at liberty to call them and ask.

Thanks, cbg. I tried to call the UC office yesterday and they said they can't give me any advice on good cause, which is what prompted me to find this site. The FL statues aren't clear either. I did find a FL link that states:

"Some reasons that can be "good cause" for quitting include: not getting paid wages or overtime, harassment by supervisors or coworkers, major changes in your job that make your job worse, unsafe working conditions, and unfair discipline. Before you quit, you must tell your employer about the problem (preferably in writing or with a witness present) and give the employer a chance to fix it. Also, if you can prove that you quit to avoid being fired, your employer will have to prove that you committed "work-related misconduct."

Maybe Florida UC regs are looser than you thought??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's possible. As I said, I've never run into this particular situation in FL.

However, it is a fact that the majority of people in any state who quit do not receive benefits. Nor do I see anything in there that suggests a pay CUT (as opposed to not getting paid at all, which is illegal) will qualify you for benefits. In fact, with the possible exception of unfair discipline (which is too subjective a term to comment on in the abstract) everything in that quote seems to back up what I have said; that you have to have been subjected to illegal behavior before you can quit and get benefits.

The only person who can give you an absolutely definite answer is a FL UI adjudicator. My opinion, which along with a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, is that you will not qualify. I've been wrong before and no doubt will be again.

It's up to you. You're the one who'll be without income if you guess wrong.

Ok, great, cbg. That's what I needed to hear. I wanted to be able to collect (for the first time ever) so I could take my time finding another good job that's close to home. I won't die without UC benefits, but it sure would help. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">