• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I recourse.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lvnvbg

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Recently a fellow employee and I were terminated at a large online company for the following: Violation of IT (information technology) regarding email policy/sexual harassment. In other words, sending/receiving emails from fellow employees and from outside the workplace. These consisted of the "jokes-pictures" that commonly float around most offices. I knowingly acknowledged my actions with an HR rep and my boss at the time of my termination. I had employed for eight months and the fellow employee for four and half years. I need some feedback in regards to whether this could/should go any further based on the following.

1. Never received any warning from a supervisor or human resources prior to termination.

2. Though I was aware of policy regarding use of company email, I had never received counseling or classes regarding "sexual harassment.

3. At the time of termination, printed evidence was offered by HR for the prior two weeks. However, in the case of the fellow employee, these mails had been going on for "years". Thus this had been an "accepted practice" by the employer.

4. To the best of my knowledge, the two of us were singled out of many for termination, possibly a descrimating action by the employer.

5. As an employer of over 400 employees, did not have an employees handbook for work conduct.

In conclusion, I felt our termination left many unanswered questions. Yes, I am also aware of Nevada being a right to work state, however......

HomeGuru

lvnvbg said:

Recently a fellow employee and I were terminated at a large online company for the following: Violation of IT (information technology) regarding email policy/sexual harassment. In other words, sending/receiving emails from fellow employees and from outside the workplace. These consisted of the "jokes-pictures" that commonly float around most offices. I knowingly acknowledged my actions with an HR rep and my boss at the time of my termination. I had employed for eight months and the fellow employee for four and half years. I need some feedback in regards to whether this could/should go any further based on the following.

1. Never received any warning from a supervisor or human resources prior to termination.

2. Though I was aware of policy regarding use of company email, I had never received counseling or classes regarding "sexual harassment.

3. At the time of termination, printed evidence was offered by HR for the prior two weeks. However, in the case of the fellow employee, these mails had been going on for "years". Thus this had been an "accepted practice" by the employer.

4. To the best of my knowledge, the two of us were singled out of many for termination, possibly a descrimating action by the employer.

5. As an employer of over 400 employees, did not have an employees handbook for work conduct.

In conclusion, I felt our termination left many unanswered questions. Yes, I am also aware of Nevada being a right to work state, however......
**A: 1-5, you have no case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. Not required by law.

2. Not required by law.

3. Does not require them to continue accepting it forever.

4. Not illegal unless you are prepared to show that the ONLY possible reason for the two of you to be singled out was your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40.

5. Not required by law.

HomeGuru

lvnvbg said:

**A: and what is descrimating action? Describing sex at the office?

R

Ramoth

"Right to work" - you cannot be required to join a union.

"At will" - employment can be terminated by either party at any time for any or no reason, as long as such reason does not violate the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">