• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do jobs usually check the FBI database for background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kickedoutofAF

What is the name of your state?NH

Do they need to get your fingerprint to do this?

Do they usually do it if it's not for a goverment job?

Does it cost more than a regular check for them to do it?

Gadfly

"Usually" is a pretty broad statement, but yes they can. Sometimes they use an outside agency to search various sources for them.

The cost can be almost anything depending on thier contract, what/who they check etc. (and they can require you to pay).

Yes. In fact this is NOT the only thing they may fingerprint you for.

If you are going to work for the Government OR a company that does business with the government, count on it.

That being said, it's not IF you have a record with the FBI, it's WHY that will make the difference.

So what's your issue anyway?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to all three of your questions is, it depends on both the employer and the job.

kickedoutofAF

My issue is that I got kicked out of the Air Force for misdemeanor possession charge last year. I heard that they only report it to the feds for their database. I checked the county and state (Bexar County, TX) I was in and they have no record of it. If it's not with them, it has to be with the Feds right?

The job I'm applying for now did not take my fingerprint. And it's in New Hampshire..

Do they have to have my fingerprint to check with the FBI? Or can they do it without it? It's not a government job or anything like that. But they needed me to notorize a background check form for the State Police so I'm kind of worried about it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Go back and read my initial post. No one can give you anything more specific than that.

JETX

kickedoutofAF said:
so I'm kind of worried about it.
First, I agree 100% with cbj.
Second.... why are you 'worried about it'???
Did you lie on your application?? If so, you have a right to be worried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">