• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do Pending charges atop from hiring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lost_in_nc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have pending drug charges. I applied for a job and on the application it only asked if I was ever convicted of a crime. Can the pending charges show up on an employers back ground check and stop me from being hired?

Beth3

Can the pending charges show up on an employers back ground check and stop me from being hired? Yes.

lost_in_nc

Re: pending charges

I did not get the job, which nows brings up another question. I went to the county courthouse to get a background check. The pending charges were not on there and the court clerk stated that only finalized cases are on the report. With this in mind how is it that an employer can run a background check and find out about the current charges. On the employers job applicationit asked the question: "Have you ever been CONVICTED" of a crime. Now pending charges aren't a conviction. These pending charges are from Sept 06. How much trouble am I going to have getting another job? I think at this point I would have a better chance at getting a job if I was already found guilty as the employer wouldn't have held drug charges against me in the first place. I answered the question truthfully so why should I offer up the additional information?

You Assume

You are assuming that it was the pending charges that kept you from getting the job! Far as you know they had other reasons. don't assume anything

lost_in_nc

pending charges

I know that was the reason. I worked for this company for 7 years and was going back to work for them. My ex-boss said the background came back "not approved". I interveiwed with the District Manager, Human Resource Manager, Regional Manager, Past the MVR, and past a drug test. What really sucks is the fact that last Sept my wife and I got into an argueement. She is Bi-Polar and flipped out. I was arrested (charges were dismissed) with AOF and brought to jail. While I was in jail the police came back and told me that when they left with me my wife handed them 2 grams of cocaine which she said belonged to me (she has same charges). I currently have custody of our 2 children and she lives in another state. I have no previous convictions. My Lawyer said he is trying to get the case dismissed on the grounds that nothing was in my possision. He also saids that I would qualify for a 9960, which would still give me a clean record. I am well known in the field of work I do and have only worked for 2 companies in the past 10 years, so employers would normally "seek" me out so the possibility of it being for any other reason then the pending charges is very remote. Thanks for your reply, any other advice?

pattytx

Yep, I have advice. Keep looking. If the employer doesn't want to hire you because you have pending charges, they are perfectly within their legal rights not to.

lost_in_nc

I know they don't have to hire me, I am just wondering how they find out, and should I even thou their application asks :"Have you ever been convested of a crime?" Write on the line NO, but I have pending charges?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">