• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we need to hire an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kim1181

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
My husband has worked for X company for 27 years. In 2/05 he had some anger issues and took a medical leave of absence in order to attend a Anger Management class with counseling to follow. He went back to work in mid April. The main cause of my husbands stress/anger at work is the fact that he's been doing a two man job by himself since January 2005 when his partner went out on medical leave. The main issue is that while he's working other departments call him and need him to do things for them, which puts him behind in his work and causes him stress. He has made a few snide comments regarding all of this to several co-workers.
On May 9th when he reported to work he was called into a meeting with the plant mgr, personnel mgr, and his warehouse supervisor and they told him they had received complaints about his additude and the fact that he wasn't getting all of his work done and they were investigating the situation. They put him on paid leave of absence pending the outcome of the investigation. He has contacted his job several times in hopes of finding out what is going on and nobody will tell him anything. He has missed five days of work now and is suppose to work tonight. He called his supervisor Monday and he said he hadn't heard anything. He called the personnnel mgr today and she said he needed to talk to his supervisor and my husband told her he had and that he didn't know anything. She said he would be calling him, but he hasn't. Do you think it's time my husband hired an attorney? He is still attending couseling and I think they are trying to get rid of him, what should his course of action be?
Thank you so much in advance for any help I can get concerning this matter. My husband is at wit's end and I just don't have a clue how to help him.
Kim

Beth3

There's nothing to hire an attorney for. While I can appreciate the situation is very frustrating, your husband's employer has not acted unlawfully. It's not against the law to give someone more work than one person can accomplish nor to take exception to how he's behaving on the job and suspend him pending their deciding what to do. If they do decide to terminate his employment, that will not be illegal either.

Given that the work overload situation is causing your husband problems, it appears he should start looking for a new position elsewhere that won't be as stressful.

kim1181

Thank you for your response Beth. My concern is that he's been with this company for 27 years and never had any problems, now he goes to a company supplied therapist for help and three months later there's a possiblity he might lose his job. It seems like to me that if he is indeed dismissed its because of his medical condition... and I didn't think company's were allowed to fire you because of something like that.
Again, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">