• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctors note am I secure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoemGirl16

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL
I been with the company for 6 month. I been really sick my doctor is wanting to give me a doctors note. But I been telling him no I don't want to get fired.
Can you lose your job with a doctors excuse or not? :confused:

Beth3

Can you lose your job with a doctors excuse or not? Doctor's notes have no force of law so yes, you can lose your job even with a doctor's excuse. If you have been ill and have been missing work and/or not performing at your usual standards because you're sick, a note from your doctor saying you are legitimately ill and being treated certainly doesn't hurt though. If you're employer knows what's going on and that you're actively trying to do something about it, that's far better than keeping your employer in the dark.

rmet4nzkx

PoemGirl16 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL
I been with the company for 6 month. I been really sick my doctor is wanting to give me a doctors note. But I been telling him no I don't want to get fired.
Can you lose your job with a doctors excuse or not? :confused:
You keep asking the same question.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=245475
You were in an automobile accident during your probationaly period and your doctor wants you on bedrest after all this time even though you have been working? DO you see why an employer would have difficulity with that?
Even so, perhaps there may be some way to resolve this matter.
What is the nature of the MVA and your injuries?
Did you have a head injury?
Were you at fault?
Was alcohol involved? Substances?
Was this work related?
What type of work do you do?
Have you been on disability?
How large is your employer?
Does your doctor still want you on bedrest or is this the same note you were talking about in May?
Are you on medication or physicial therapy?
Are you able to perform your job without accommodations?
What accommodaitons are required to perform your job?
Did you already have any attendance problems prior to the MVA?
How old are you?

rmet4nzkx

I just received the following PM from you I am posting it here as I don't respond to PM on issues that belong on the forum.

Please note, I asked you specific questions in an attempt to assist you, but apparently I must have hit a sore spot insofar as your responsibility or your credibility since instead of answering the questions in order to provide the facts, you instead consider it rude.

Private Message: Wondering

Today,
PoemGirl16

Wondering
Ok just wanted to clear something. I don't know the labor laws here in the US. The first time I ask was before 90days and I thought after the 90days is a different story with medical noted.

You don't have to be rude about it.

If you don't like that I post on this site or ask similar questions please don't reply to them.

Thank you have a great day.
==================
Given this turn of events my advice is quit whinning, quit drinking alcohol and doing drugs, get off your duff and go to work and don't take advantage of your doctor or your employer.
Thank you and have a great day :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The first time I ask was before 90days and I thought after the 90days is a different story with medical noted.

You were wrong. There is no legal significance whatsoever to 90 days of employment. At no time in the first year of employment is an employer required to pay any attention whatsoever to a doctor's note unless it is with respect to providing a reasonable accomodation under the ADA, and allowing you unlimited time off work is not going to be a reasonable accomodation ever.

After you have worked for the employer for 12 months AND have worked 1,250 hours in the last 12 months AND have a condition that qualifies under FMLA, your employer is required to provide you with up to 12 weeks worth of medical leave IF the employer has 50 or more employees within 75 miles of your location. For that they are entitled to require the appropriate health forms to be completed, not a note from the doctor that says, "Poetgirl was seen in my office on xx/xx/xxxx".

Under no circumstances, barring a bona fide contract or a state law that says otherwise (and Florida does not have one) is the employer required to allow you more than 12 weeks off in a 12 month period, and since you have not worked there for 12 months yet you are not even entitled to that. You are entitled to exactly as much time off as your employer is willing to give you, no more and no less, regardless of how many doctor's notes you provide.

I hope we have now made the situation clear.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">