• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does boss have the right??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kcstripsteak200

New Jersey:
I work as an outside salesperson for a billion dollar company. Recently, we have a new sales manager who is very aggressive and implimented policy I am not even sure is legal.

If we as sales agents do not meet a certain unit number of sales by a certain date of the month (about 1/2 way through looking for 65% success), he requires us to work on Saturday. This is a normal 8-5, Mon-Fri job, as it is listed on their website when soliciting new sales Reps. He advised us of his new policy in an email.

Today, he advised us we can not take off on the 4th of July weekend if we don't make our June numbers goal. The company gives us july 4 as a floating holiday, HE is saying we can't use it. (we would normally get july 5, this year, of course)

Does a manager have the right to dicate our weekends and holiday schedule? we are being required to work on a saturday for free basicly. BTW, This is a sales job, low base+commission type of job. if that helps.

I hope i gave you enough information.

Last edited:

Beth3

Does a manager have the right to dicate our weekends and holiday schedule? Yes. Your employer can require you to work 365 days a year if they wish (excepting for those few States that require "one day of rest in seven.")

It may not be the best way to raise morale or foster loyalty to the organization but your boss is free to require you to work Saturdays and on the 4th of July if he wishes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI, no private employer is required by any law, Federal or state, to offer ANY holidays off, paid or unpaid, regardless of whether it is a Federal holiday or not.

Think about it. If you work in a hospital, you can't be guaranteed holidays off - there are still patients that need to be cared for. If you work in a hotel, you can't be guaranteed holidays off - there are still guests that need to be catered to. If you work for a liquor store, at least in my state there are still going to be customers except in VERY rare exceptions - someone still has to work.

And the list goes on.

K

kcstripsteak200

interesting

I appriciate the response. I guess my concern was that he (boss) was basing it on quota, as opposed to policy. If i took a job knowing saturdays or holiday work was involved, so be it. The sense we are getting is that the extra work days are punishment for not getting to qouta faster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">