• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does an employer have to respect your first amendment rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

captkahunah

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Can an employer legally fire you for posting what they consider derogatory remarks about the company on your personal website?

Bigfoot

It's the booze talking, right? I mean, you're not serious?

Let's say Blue Cross/Blue Shield decided to hire you, out of 40 other potential applicants. You decide, after taking their money on a biweekly basis, that they are bad guys. Someone trying to decide between Blue Cross and another carrier, chooses the other carrier, because of your remarks. Blue Cross loses a potential customer. Yet they are paying you a salary every day.

Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost during the past year, some due to trade, some due to competition. Does any of this make sense, or are you just too young, too dumb, or too stoned to understand?

You have a right to speak. And they have a right to let your sorry behind go.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The First Amendment says that the GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your speech. It doesn't say anything about your employer.

Yes, you can be legally fired for posting what they consider derogatory comments about the company on your personal website.

C

captkahunah

Thank you for the info, cbg. And Bigfoot, you need to work on your people skills. I wouldn't have asked the question if the decision had made sense to me. I would have thought that it was a violation of the person's first amendment rights.

Once again, thanks Cbg for setting me streight on that. I appreciate all the hard work you and beth do in posting to this board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">