• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does this make any sense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stugots

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I work for a department store, I have been there 5 months with a perfect record, all of a sudden, now they are saying that im "stealing" because of price adjustments, which HAVE TO be done on a daily basis because half of the marked items come up as more expensive at the reg, and by state law you have to sell the item at the marked price, how is this stealing? is it stealing? there is no personal gain, its for customers that I do not know, plus if they put this in as stealing not only does it go on my record but I wont be allowed unemployment.

Thanks for any advice

Beth3

Your employer is suspicious because of all the price adjustments you have been making at the register. They believe you may be making unauthorized price reductions for family and friends, which is definitely stealing.

Before this happened, had you advised your employer of the incorrect pricing in the system for the marked down items? Were you told you had the authority to reduce prices at the register if the item rang up incorrectly?

Andy0192

im "stealing" because of price adjustments, which HAVE TO be done on a daily basis because half of the marked items come up as more expensive at the reg, and by state law you have to sell the item at the marked price, how is this stealing? is it stealing?
What did your supervisor say when you called their attention to all of these mis-priced items? Do other cashiers have the same problem and the same rate of price adjustments as you?

commentator

If they terminate you for this, file for your unemployment anyway. It will be up to them to prove that what they say is "stealing' is really that. You will present the arguments you have given here. If they have you on tape, laughing and talking with your Uncle Jake while you check him out and merrily adjust the prices of his purchased items, you're probably not going to be approved. Their evidence that they had good misconduct reason to terminate you will be valid and believable.

If they can only show adjustments you have made on random check outs, and especially if you have complained about the situation, or other clerks have had the same necessity to make such adjustments, you have a better chance of proving you were terminated unjustly.

stugots

actually my supervisor (who I did tell) is being fired as well, it cant be friends and family, I cant know THIS many people, its atleast 12 a day and it slittle stuff like $11.99 to 5.99 on little toys and games.

swalsh411

actually my supervisor (who I did tell) is being fired as well, it cant be friends and family, I cant know THIS many people, its atleast 12 a day and it slittle stuff like $11.99 to 5.99 on little toys and games.
That's a reduction of 50% so I'd hardly call that "little".

But I agree with commentator. They would have to prove misconduct to deny your unemployment claim. Having said that, they can fire you based on mere suspicious and it's perfectly legal. I'd stick to the book as much as possible if you like your job.

stugots

well that was one example, right its not always little but, if its an HONEST mistake in our computer system we cant over charge the customers, thats not legal, and I did the right thing and went to a supervisor, guess that wasnt good enough.

kinda pisses me off because I have NEVER stolen anything in my life, I just refused to rip customers off, besides its a state law that of the price shows one thing, you HAVE to give it to them for that price.

swalsh411

Ok well to summarize, your employer can fire you based on the mere suspension of theft or other inappropriate conduct and it's perfectly legal.

To deny your unemployment benefits they would bear the burden of proof to show misconduct.

Do you have any other questions?

commentator

Before you file, get your facts together as to what you are going to say. Explain from the beginning the answers to the questions they will ask you, which will be something like: Why did you leave your job? What happened on the last day before you left the job? What exactly were you told by the person who terminated you? Do you have a separation notice or letter they gave you?

Then: What had happened? Had you ever been warned about this behavior or situation? Were you ever given any indication your job was in jeopardy? Had you ever discussed this situation with your supervisor or manager? Did you do what they said you did? Did you steal? (If they said this is why you were fired.)

How many times these scan errors or recharges occurred, who you talked to about it, whether the other cashiers were doing it, whether everyone was having a problem with it, whether to your knowledge, anyone else was terminated for this cause, these will all be part of your story. They will ask the specific things they wish to know, and what you tell them will pretty much be your "proof" at this point.

If the claim were denied and you were appealing, having a hearing, you would re-tell the story thoroughly. You might consider asking the terminated manager to speak for you. But in the filing of your initial claim, you just tell your version of what happened as clearly and concisely as possible. What the employer is going to say, or what the ajudicator who makes that initial decison decides is something you cannot control or get predictions on.

stugots

ok, I'll do that, Thanks

BTW I have been working these past few days, the "security manager" has yet to show up and we are both (me as well as my supervisor) are still employed there.

commentator

Be sure you keep records of what happened in this incident. Keep records of what you are told by management at any time about anything related to your work. This is good practice in relation to any job.

But if they're going to turn out to be a not so great place to work, you may want to be looking for other employment before they pull something like this again and leave you in the lurch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">