• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this qualify as gender discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahbarah

I am a 17 year old female who was offered a position with an organization that is male-dominated. Unbeknownst to me when the position was offered, another female was also offered a position with the same organization and she declined to accept the position. Because she declined, I was the only female offered a position on the particular team that we were assigned to in the organization.

The male leader of the team felt that it would be socially awkward to only have one female present on the team because the job involves camping for a few nights at a time. I feel that this social awkwardness would be eliminated if I were allowed to bring my own tent. Seventeen-year-old females have been employed by the organization in the past and have been allowed to participate in camping activities without any reported trouble. Lastly, this organization deals with hiking trail management and offers employment to both genders because both genders are mentally and physically capable of fulfilling the job's responsibilities.

Is it illegal for the team leader to revoke a position offered to me because my gender would make the working environment "socially awkward"? Does "social awkwardness" qualify as a bona fide occupational qualification?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Beth3

Saying the situation would be "socially awkward" because you would the sole female is stupid. As you are only 17 and still a minor, I can see the need to have another female in the group for personal safety reasons however.

I don't really see any illegal discrimination going on; I see a male team leader who doesn't quite know how to address the situation. I suggest you speak with him and tell him (nicely) that social awkwardness is not an issue - you'll get along with the male team members just fine - but that if his concern is your age and personal safety as the only female in the group, that you could understand and ask that the two of you discuss possible solutions so that you can participate in these events.

ESteele

If you qualified for the position and the organization revokes your employment offer, then you should consider contacting the EEOC or a FEPA to file a gender discrimination complaint. Your prospective employer cannot lawfully deny you employment because its management cannot or will not figure out how to minimize, if not eliminate, “the social awkwardness” of you being the only female on the team.

tranquility

We await the results of having a 17 year old girl alone among several (probably similar aged) males out camping 2 or 3 days at a time. At least she might get to bring her own tent rather than have to share with the fellas. (Although I don't think "reasonable accommodation" fits purported gender discrimination.

OHRoadwarrior

I question whether hiring a minor, for this type of occupation, complies with state labor laws. We don't have a state, nor do we have a job description to establish this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">