• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double dipping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waddydogg

What is the name of your state? California. I am a high school special education teacher and I also coach junior college soccer in our local community. During the course of the soccer season, I have to leave early for a soccer match. I have never taken more time than what is negotiated in our contract as a teacher. The district was fine with this, but after a few politically powerful teachers made a stink, the district now has a position that this is illegal and I have already been written up. The say it is double dipping. My argument is, I can choose to take my negotiated personal necessity time any way I choose. Especially since it is a benefit to our community and it is under the umbrella of education. The irony is that over half of the college coaches I face are school teachers in the k-12 arena and their districts are not claiming this is illegal.:confused:

Beth3

waddy, I think you left out the most pertinent piece of information - are you being paid twice by the school district/State for the same time? If you are, then that would indeed be considered double-dipping. As a public sector employee, whether you can be disciplined for this depends upon your CBA (if there is one) and/or on the policies you're subject to by the Board of Education or the school district. I tend to doubt anyone can answer that here.

I can only suggest you appeal the decision internally through whatever avenues are available to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">