• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double standard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bstacy1

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I worked for company X for 2 years. At which time I left to do some consulting work for a recruting firm. While with that firm I used my previous manager as a professional reference on two occasions without incident. After working as a consulting for a year and a half I came back to company X where I have spent the last year.

I recently accepted a job offer at another company. After accepting the offer I was asked to provide 3 professional references on a normal job application. All 3 of the professional references that I provided are current employees of company X and are in supervisory positions with this company. I was pulled aside today by my manager and told that there is a "new policy that prohibits her from providing professional references" and that not only could she not provide a reference, but neither could the other three people that I had listed. She explained that these inquiries get sent to H.R. who will verify length of employment etc. The problem is, the company that is checking the references wants to speak with someone that I have worked directly for or with.

Ok now the legal side of my story. This same company whom I have accepted an offer at recently hired a former coworker of mine at company X. This person also used this same manager as a professional reference, and reference WAS provided. Additionally in the past my manager had also provided professional references for me. She had said that this was a "new" policy, however when i inquired about this to H.R. they stated that this has ALWAYS been company policy.

What if I am now unable to get this job? Even if I get the job, is that right that this person can get away with this type of double standard? I feel as though she is being vindictive that I am leaving the company for a second time do I have a leg to stand on here?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No employer is required by any law to give references and many companies have the regulation that references can only be given by HR.

It's quite possible that your manager was in violation of the regulation when she gave you the references before.

Now let's take a look at the legal side. It is not illegal discrimination to give references to one person, but to refuse to give them to another because they've left the company twice. People who have left the company twice are not a protected group. And as I said above, they are under no legal obligation to give you a reference in the first place.

I don't see any legal case for you here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">