• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Downsized" then offered lower position

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rachel13

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

In July of this year, I was told my position as Buyer was being eliminated and I would be let go December 1st. I was informed what my severence package will be, which I was very satisfied with. I've been helping any way I can with this change and training others to take over my responsibilities. There has been no bad feelings between my employer and myself concerning this situation. I've actually been looking forward to the next step in my life's journey. I was told I would sign the official severence documents right before my departure, which at the time of this writing is next week. The HR Manager and I set up an appointment time next Tuesday to go over the package "officially" and take care of any details about leaving. This would be all fine, except...

Part of this downsizing project back in July, included the immediate dismissal of our Receptionist and the company has been operating without one ever since. I've now been informed that the company wants that position back and they have offered it to me. This is a much lower position with much lower pay than the position I am being let go from. I don't want to be a Receptionist here or anywhere else because my skills, training and experience are way beyond that. I am afraid, though, that this will cancel any chances of getting my severance package and make me ineligible for unemployment benefits.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I've simply stated that I will need to think about it. Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Beth3

Has your employer specifically told you that you don't have the option of turning down the job and opting for separation and severance instead? Sounds like your employer has been very reasonable about all this so far - and you've been wonderfully cooperative and kept a positive attitude, which you are to be commended for. Given all this, there's no reason to assume the worst.

Might I suggest you immediately speak to the appropriate person in management to find out exactly what your options are and whether they will still offer severance if you turn down the reception job?

R

Rachel13

Thank you Beth and that is a very good suggestion. When this offer was made this morning, it was presented as extremely confidential, by my boss. He said the offer is coming from corporate and I was asked not to mention this offer to anyone and not to discuss the possibility that the company was bringing back a Receptionist. There are other people being let go the same time I am and we all have been asked not to discuss our individual severance packages with anyone. Although things have been smooth with my boss and individuals who work here, the big picture of the company is that they are not very trustworthy, and I've actually been wondering if they might try to pull something. I've felt that if it's not an attempt to avoid paying all of us our severance, they may at least try something with me because I have the longest history with the company, therefore I assume the "best" package. I have 13 years with the company. I don't feel comfortable going to any of the corporate management, and I'm a little afraid of saying the wrong thing even just asking about it. What I can do is talk with my boss and ask him what the real deal is here. I believe he will let me know some way, without actually coming out and saying they are trying to get away with not paying. He is trying to preserve his job, just like everyone else, but I think he will gesture or point or give some kind of non-verbal direction as to what I should do. I know this sounds silly, but people have had to walk on eggshells around here for quite some time and the corporation has very good lawyers ready to pounce. This is another good reason why I have been so cooperative about leaving, because I would probably be leaving on my own. This way, I get to leave on good terms and get this awesome severance. It's really going to be sweet if it goes through.

Thanks again for your time and I will talk about my concerns with my boss.

Beth3

That sounds like a good plan. Given your length of service and cooperative efforts, they may well think they're doing you a favor by giving you a choice and at least offering you the only opportunity they have. Some people might well want to take a lesser job in lieu of severance - while they look for a new job, that is. You never know how long it's going to take these days to find a new opportunity and whether the severance will be enough to get you through.

Perhaps they don't want the reception opportunity broadcast because they don't want a whole bunch of employees vying for the position or making a big ruckus as to why it wasn't offered to them.

Good luck. If you have the inclination, post back and let me know how this turns out.

D

DogToenails

Can't you tell them you'll give them an answer at the scheduled HR meeting, and at that time you'll decide to either accept the job or sign the severance. I would think that would kind of force them to expose their hand if they had any ill intentions.

Beth3

That likely to come off as a bit high-handed, Dog. Rachel isn't in the driver's seat here and she won't want to do anything to jeopardize the employer's good will.

Just flat-out asking her boss in private what her options are seems like the best plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">