• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Downsized while hospitalized.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charlie28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was a salaried paid operations manager at a small manufacturing company in my local community. In fall of 2008 I was hospitalized for a blood clot in the portal vein,
had surgery and had a lengthy recovery period in the hospital. I kept in touch with my employer about my condition and was told not to worry about my job,
just concentrate on getting better. After approximately 4 months I was ready to go back to work and assume my duties. My Doctor agreed and signed a release form. When I visited my employer, I was told that my old job had been elemenated and was offered an hourly job at 65% of the compensation I was receiving for my previous position with the company. I accepted the position in good faith and 1 week later was told that the company was downsizing and I was given a seperation notice stating lack of work for the reason. No other salaried employee was laid off. Is this legal? Do I have any recourse?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Since you were out longer then 12 weeks, they had no legal obligation to return you to your previous position or any other position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">