• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dr.'s Note but no diagnosis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flyme

What is the name of your state? I work out of the Kentucky Int'l Airport which is in Kentucky but also serves Ohio;and I live in Illinois, so when I go to work I commute to Kentucky from Illinois via airplane. On Thurs. nite I felt sick and vomited so naturally I called in sick to work on Friday when I was supposed to work a flight going overseas returning on Sun. This major Int'l airline has a new policy in place requiring a Dr. note before returning to work and I have always faxed one in the past. My Doctor faxed one as usual with the correct dates but no diagnosis. At work they already asked me why I was sick, they know I had the flu it is in their computer. I do not have excessive illnesses and have not had any administrative action in the past 15+ years. My supervisor is asking me for another note with the diagnosis on it. The Doctors office faxed over the same note w/o diagnosis again. If the Dr. will not write the diagnosis what should I do? Is it legal for work to require the written diagnosis? It was not necessary for me to physically go to see the Doctor, I spoke to a nurse over the phone whom told me to get rest and try drinking fluids. I had nausea until Monday so the note covers 4 days. The Dr. office says they can not write a diagnosis because I was not seen! Other employees have told me that employment can ask for a diagnosis but legally, I don't have to give one.Who Is right?

Jeter

They have a right to ask for a diagnosis to protect themselves from contamination due to a contagious condition. You were out for 4 days. If you haven't seen a doctor then you cannot know if there are any accompanying health issues, or if your flu symptoms are due to some other problem. They are protecting themselves and it is legal.

F

flyme

So how do I get a diagnosis when I am not sick anymore and have already returned to work?

stephenk

while you were sick did you go and see your doctor? If no, why not? How did you expect your doctor to write a note with a diagnosis when you didnt get examined.

F

flyme

I spoke with a nurse who said it was not necessary to come in to the office when they are fully booked on Friday and not in, on the weekend; and if I felt worse I should go to the emergency room they cannot see me in the office. So I stayed home and did what the nurse told me to do, get rest, take tylenol and drink fluids, I actually started feeling better and by Monday felt recovered. The nurse requested the note from the Doctor!

stephenk

Sooooooooooo, call your doctor's office and tell the nurse or the doctor that you need a note that states a diagnosis and not to keep sending the same note with no stated diagnosis.

F

flyme

What should I have done? Drive to the emergency room for nausea and vomiting the night before and still feeling dizzy? I may have crashed my car. I have been to the emergency room years ago and learned that you don't get seen unless you walk in bleeding to death or half-dead already!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one's saying you did anything wrong, but what you need to do NOW is tell the doctor's office that they need to put a diagnosis on the note.

BTW, they may also be looking for a diagnosis to find out if FMLA applies, and if that is the case, it is for your protection as well as theirs. If this was an FMLA-eligible illness, they cannot hold the absence against you; if it wasn't, they can.

F

flyme

I am not getting anywhere with this Doctor, she is not returning my calls and the nurse keeps telling me that since I was not seen physically they cannot write a diagnosis. Can I force the Dr. to write a diagnosis?

C

CCPENNOCK

You can not force the doctor to write a diagnosis because you weren't seen by the doctor. Next time if you are worried about driving have a friend or relative drive you. Depending on how sick you are and who came into emergency worse off then you will depend on when you will be seen should you go to emergency. Some one will see you but you will need to be patient. I personally have never heard of an emergency room refusing to see any one but I could be wrong. CCP

Jeter

What you need to do now is see another doctor as soon as possible, get a check up and get a new diagnosis with a clean bill of health and a note clearing you to work. Bring that into work and you should be good to go.

F

flyme

Since I do like my Doctor, I will make another appointment with her. Thanks for all your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">