• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dress Code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Catharine

We work for a non-profit health care agency.
Our dress code was modified in May '00 to state that skirts must be no more than 2" above the knee. (Nobody signed/initialed any policy or memo) Can this be enforced? Last Thursday, 7 employees wore skirts/dresses that were not in accordance with this policy (although the dress was very professional). There were no supervisors in attendance that day. It was brought to their attention 5 days later. A memo is being distributed reprimanding those whose dressed "inappropriately". This memo stated that this was a "conscience decision". What are our rights/options?? Thank you

D

D. D. Lessenberry

I'm confused again. On WHAT was this change of dress code written, if not in a memo or on something initialed?

Is there an original dress code in your employee handbook? Does it have any guidelines for men, as well?

In general, companies are very cautious today about dress codes, as major corporations have lost lawsuits regarding "ethnic celebration" hairstyles. WHo told the supervisors.

I am not a lawyer. I agree that short skirts can still be professional. I have no dress code where I work. But:

as I see it you can a)get together to talk to your supervisors b) buy slacks c) look for another job.

Let me know what's going on.

C

Catharine

All of a sudden it appeared after she (the secretary to the Executive Director) saw someone wearing a skirt that she deemed to short. There is nothing that is initialed stating we even knew about this.

No guidelines for men.

Trust me, in this agency there are much bigger problems than the lenght of the skirts.

Thanxs

crager34

dress code

This is a problem everywhere. Unfortunatly, companies can change their policies at-will, as long as it is not against the law, this includes your rights. Many have risen up again such treachery and had policies changed. Take a stand with your co-workers and appeal to the better sense of the powers that be, but keep in mind the risk....that being the loss of your job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">